Dying Interior Trim

KKtrips

I got a bit of a bargain on some brown carpet for me Dunnydoor. On arrival today, it appears to be far lighter than the brown I imagined it would be so I have 2 questions...

My first question to all you number 8 fencing wire fiends is, has anyone dyed their carpet before and was it successful?

My second question, do you know anyone in NZ who does vinyl dye in custom tinted colour? I know I can get it from some custom paint outfits in Aussie, but shipping aerosols/paint is probably going to be a problem without expensive AF Hazardous Goods shipping. (I said AEROSOLS, you filthy bugger) I know I can get the vinyl dye spray bombs from Dupli-color/VHT but they don't appear to make any of the darker brown shades. 

Thanks in advance.

PS - I have used the Vinyl Dye stuff before and it did a great job on some doorcards, so I am confident the product is good, just not sure how it goes on carpets.

Try CarColors in Auckland, they sell product by SEM. I got some stuff colour matched for plastics painting, and I note they also have a coating suitable for carpet etc (they specifically say it is not a dye, though).

But I'd start with them.

• Like 1