Checking piston to valve clearance - Do i have to waste a head gasket?

BlownCorona

dumb questions as title suggests, do i have to waste a head gasket in order to check piston valve clearance?
i unfortunately dont have an old one, and new ones aren't cheap or even really available locally. 

surely there must be some tricks of the trade??

18R-G for reference 

if your valve clearance is going to be close enough that the difference between torqued and non torqued gap is a deal breaker you got way more problems.

just assemble it and nip up the bolts, if you want to get super pedantic take 0.5 off your measurements (if you can measure a piece of plasticine that accurately) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I measure mine with the head gasket off, so if I can see a thin area of plasticine when I pull the head off then I know its going to be fucking close, but I still have the thickness of the head gasket clearance. 
If I can see through the plasticine, I call it a problem. Not very scientific but hasn't failed me yet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, sheepers said:

if your valve clearance is going to be close enough that the difference between torqued and non torqued gap is a deal breaker you got way more problems.

just assemble it and nip up the bolts, if you want to get super pedantic take 0.5 off your measurements (if you can measure a piece of plasticine that accurately) 

i don't want it that close. but i don't know if the combo i have is going to give me what i want, i may need to machine valve reliefs. 
but i absolutely didn't consider just not doing it up tight.

thanks everyone!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KKtrips said:

I measure mine with the head gasket off, so if I can see a thin area of plasticine when I pull the head off then I know its going to be fucking close, but I still have the thickness of the head gasket clearance. 
If I can see through the plasticine, I call it a problem. Not very scientific but hasn't failed me yet.

after thinking about my above post, not knowing quite what ive got, this suggesting is also relevant to my interests.

Yeah but it's been dormant for like two years due to pandemic/house hunting/undiagnosed turn diagnosed and treated adhd. 

The discussion thread has a bunch of good conversation around what I'm doing - putting 20r pistons in am 18rg block to compensate for the block being machined for high compression and to also decompress the engine a little for mild boost. 

• 2 weeks later...