iPad or iPad Air?

Bart's Handbrake

I'll try keep this brief...

My mum has a 2nd gen iPad air which I'm looking to replace for her. Choices are between a 2022 5th gen iPad Air 256gb for approx $1300 or a 2021 9th gen iPad 256gb for approx $800.

From what I understand the Air is slightly lighter and slightly larger screen with better display/resolution. I'm not really tech savvy so is the extra $$$ for the Air worth it? She'd be using it for mainly email, fb and messenger, photos, streaming content and some simple game apps. 

Other main consideration is that it's nice for her to use and not going to become outdated too soon.

No personal ownership experience with iPads myself, but even older ones my mum has replaced still look perfectly fine to me. So as far as resolution and display quality goes, i'd save the $500 and go 9th gen iPad. Both options are going to be amazing compared to what she has now. As for being outdated, for those basic tasks even much cheaper devices (not iPad) will handle them for years to come. So I wouldn't be concerned about that when comparing those two devices.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, xsspeed said:

Do you mean iPad pro? I didn't think there was all that much between a air and regular except one is thinner/lighter, screen a bit different and they get slightly different processor specs depending on release date

No I meaning the standard iPad. As you say I didn't think there was really much difference between that and the Air for what mum would be using it for.