Arduino Bongo Turbo Diesel ECU - Discussion thread

R3spct

Why are you so worried about keeping egts so low?

I run my stock kzj78 1kz upto 700 pretty regularly towing. Prettymuch goes to 650 just pulling upto 100k 

All standard engine management bit with a 3" exhaust. And down pipe.

With the standard down pipe it would go to 750 degrees pretty easy 

34 minutes ago, R3spct said:

Its a high compression non crossflow, tbh it just doesnt make more power over those egts.  Also the heads are a shit design and crack easy, based off a petrol engine design and only 10 headbolts, so better safe than sorry.

Oh derp I read it as if youd put a 1kz in your camper.

It's just a 1kz turbo bolted onto your OG motor 

As you were 

Diesel hot water heater is the one shown in this vid.

If i was doing a purely hot water setup id do it different, maybe a Webasto or something for pure hot water heating and have a separate air heater.  Its a 8kw, and its a bit too powerful for the size of the camper, even on a cold night need to crack a roof vent or it gets a bit toasty. 

Camper had a propane hot water cyl from Japan, as well as a propane 2 burner cook top, but where the bottle used to be ended up being where the rear seat frames needed to go, and carrying a lpg bottle introduces a few other issues. I think it originally had a generator on a slider in the back left corner too. Ive got the diesel hot water plumbed through the original hot water cyl, has some fancy acutated valves so there is no water in the heater when the pump isnt on so doesnt go festering inside the heat exchanger.  Can get cylinder to 60deg in about half an hour, enough to do proper dishes or a quick shower to rinse off. Only has a 85 litre fresh water so showers are brief if need be depending on supply.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just reading your thread, which I'm loving btw as a fellow campervan builder. Is dropping boost off without fuel a smart way with the diesel? Would you not want to also pull fuel out, maybe by way of a bleed valve off the fuel pump? My diesel tuning knowledge is patchy at best, but wondering if your approach is a bit blunt? Or maybe better to intercool it, or water inject? and not have to faf about trying to drop your temps? 

Yeah im running 9psi on the wastegate, so cant drop boost.  Ideally with diesel you can run no WG, and just control boost with fuel.  I can turn the fuel down and keep the egts lower, but it makes it loose its punch in mid range and coming onto boost.  I love the way the turbo deez pump works, its a work of art, even with my limited understanding, but the fuel pin and the way it kinda works like a cam and can be both rotated and, and the response spring can be adjusted is pretty cool.

Im running an Innovate EGT gauge, which is set to flash at 630 deg, but to be fair from testing the engine doesnt make much power over 550 to 580 deg C preturbo.

Im running a water to air ic under the drivers seat, tried a front mount but there was zero way to get pipes forward and back, i did have some temp sensors but never set them up properly to monitor the efficiency of the ic, with regards to intake air temp, and water temps in and out.

Had someone try tell me i was running it too lean a while ago, and adding heat, which is the opposite with a turbo diesel.

Turning down fuel with high egt is the best option, leave as much air going through as required to keep the combustion cooler.

The engine is very inefficient, its a non cross flow R2 2.2, based off a petrol engine originally and only 10 bolt head, so cant take any serious boost.  Ive killed a head gasket by freeboosting to 15psi, it didnt like it at all. 

The GFB one is fine, but the egt looks like its only a gauge function, and doesnt affect the solenoid control of the boost?

Ulitmately, its a poor choice of engine, but its what i got, and its 4wd, which id like to keep, so changing engine would prob mean a new GB, and other issues.  Kia makes a 2900crdi engine in a small truck based off the Bongo chassis, this would be a good option if could find one in good enough condition, but would mean loosing 4wd. Its independant front axle tho, so just a matter of removing front diff and alxes from CV's.

• Like 1