keltiks' 2006 XJR shouldn't be a daily but is

keltik

2 hours ago, keltik said:

All the gubbins is glued and bead rolled / crimped together like a coke can.  There is a crowd who do rebuilt ones for $1500 each but their reputation is shithouse in the Jag community - lots of early failures and dead ones out of the box.

Ah, ok. That’s a pity.

• 3 months later...

What direction have you/are you going in? I'd stick with OEM, at least then you'll know those corners are unlikely to give any issues for another 15 years or so. Air suspension (and early timing chains) really do seem like the only weaknesses on these cars.

Ended up deciding to bankrupt myself and get OEM Bilsteins.  Should be about 4 grand landed.  They finally came back into stock at the start of February but In the meantime I spent all my savings on bits for the yacht.

So now I'm just patiently waiting for the jet boat to sell.

• Like 7

• 4 months later...

Mr postman brought me a present today.

QrSLa54.jpeg

He also seems to have decimated the poor old credit card.

X4o4dhC.jpeg

But after a couple hours work, I've got the new struts in.  Was interesting to find the drivers side one is slightly different to all the others I've seen, not sure why the lower bellows extends all the way to the mounting fork.

TTh4LJt.jpeg

Not the most thrilling update.  I did replace the rear tyres while I was at it.  Had the new ones sitting on the rack at work since January so nice to fit them up. Was a good learning experience trying to get 35 profile tires with stiff sidewalls mounted.

Next up, do the oil service it's well overdue for, replace the leaky transmission cooler pipe and get some new engine mounts.

On the bright side, the ride quality is much improved compared to the dubious second hand shocks before they exploded.

• Like 8

• 5 months later...

Haven't put many ks on this thing since I've been busy buying yachts and otherwise bankrupting myself.

I thought it would be nice to drive over the Christmas new year's period so moved the Mazda to get to the Corolla to get the Isuzu in to pull the boat out of the driveway to get the Jag out of the shed.  It took a little throttle to unstick the brakes, moved about 1 metre then stopped.  Rolled it back into the shed where the brake pedal went to the floor.

Ah, there's your problem

nfyjD6d.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Lesson learned. Don't wash the car and put it away without a quick drive to dry off the brakes. 

On the bright side, dealing with the electronic park brake was easy.  Just hold the switch down as you turn off the key and it stays disengaged.  Then pump the brakes and pull the switch a couple times to adjust it for the new pads.  

Way easier than the triangle circle square L2 R2 up down sequence needed on some other vehicles I won't name.  And if you get it wrong the calipers grenade themselves internally the first time you use the handbrake.

• Like 6