Flash's 66 Mustang

Flash

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flash

Top Posters In This Topic

My new fuel tank sender float pitched up yesterday. I upgraded to a brass one as the plastic ones are notorious for developing leaks.

While I was at it, I ordered a new idler arm as the bush in the existing one was looking a bit flogged.

20220914_114404.jpg

20220914_120625.jpg

20220914_114542.jpg

• Like 9

Cooling Issue – Chapter One

The next big ticket item on the Mustang “to do” list is to improve the engine cooling.

The 65 and 66 Mustangs are notorious for engine cooling issues. The main reason for this is a poorly designed piddly little radiator. Things get even worse when the car is sporting a/c as the condenser is mounted in front of the radiator which doesn’t exactly assist airflow.

The boffins at Ford then increased the size of the radiator on the 67 and 68 cars, but cooling was still borderline, especially in the hotter USA states. Eventually Ford changed to an even bigger crossflow radiator in the 70s and this seems to have solved the issue

Somewhere along the line my Muzzy has been upgraded to a 3 row aluminium radiator, but I suspect that the previous owner was still battling with temp related issues here in sunny old Queensland as the a/c condenser had been removed and the space filled with a helper thermo pusher fan.

So far I’ve made a few changes that have improved things slightly, but I’m still not a happy bunny.

First up I removed the cheapy pusher thermo fan as well as the original factory 5 blade mechanical fan and installed a 3000 CFM Spal puller fan on the back of the radiator. I was initially running a radiator shroud and whilst the car would happily idle all day on the driveway with the thermo cycling on and off, out on the open road under spirited driving conditions I noticed a drastic increase in temp. I ended up ditching the shroud and mounting the Spal directly to the radiator and open road temps decreased once again.

However, now that I have refitted the a/c condenser in front of the radiator I’m again battling with open road driving temps and I figure I’d best knock this on the head before summer arrives and I get the a/c re-gassed. I’m worried that the warmer days and extra heat dissipating off the a/c condenser might just push the engine temp into the critical zone.

So first up I needed to add some science to my investigation. I set my sights on finding something more useful than the factory temp gauge which helpfully has no temp markings. After pesting everyone on the tech forum page and getting some really good advice from the usual old school legends I got my hands on an infrared temp gun.

Let the investigation begin:

20220918_144122.jpg

• Like 6

Cooling Issue – Chapter Two

So armed with the infrared temp gun and following the advice of @sheepers, I stuck some bits of black tape on my shiny aluminium radiator and started taking some readings.

The driveway test revealed that the thermo fan kicks in at around 170F. This measurement was taken directly off the thermo switch that sits in the thermostat housing. At that point the top rad hose measures 160F and the bottom rad hose 140F. 

The thermo fan cycles on and runs for about 4 minutes before turning off. 

Idling in the driveway for around 45 minutes the max temp measured was 185F on the top radiator tank.

Monitoring the temps at various points on the radiator I’ve been able to establish that the difference in temperature across the top tank differs by about 15F. This supports articles that I have read that criticise Ford for having the radiator inlets and outlets on the same side as they reckon that the coolant ends up taking the path of least resistance and doesn’t utilise the full radiator core to maximum advantage.

Some of the more expensive aluminium radiators are fitted with a baffle in the top tank to prevent this but clearly my cheapy radiator doesn’t have one.

Apart from the fact that my radiator doesn't have a baffle fitted, I'm relatively comfortable with cooling performance at idle.

20220918_104246.jpg

20220918_105850.jpg

20220918_105855.jpg

• Like 5

Cooling Issue - Chapter 4

I'm the first to admit that I've never really given much thought to thermostats and the role that they play in the cooling system, but over the past week I've been doing a bit of internet research on the subject and I've come to realise just how little I know.

Now we all know that there is a lot of mis information out there on the web, but during my meandering I came across a guy called Walter who owns a Mustang GT350 and he has posted a number of interesting cooling related Youtube clips specifically covering the early Mustangs. I've got to say that what this guy says makes a lot of sense.

I've always thought that the role of the thermostat is purely to get the engine up to optimum operating temperature as quickly as possible. But, Walter enlightened me to the fact that the thermostat's primary function is to regulate the flow of coolant between the engine and the radiator with the goal being to keep the coolant in the radiator as long as possible in order to cool it down. I'm embarrassed to say that whilst this may seem pretty obvious to most of you reading this, it was news to me.

Another thing that Walter confirmed is that the little 289s like a bit of heat in them, so temps in the early 200 F range should not seem scary. The gents at Ford fitted the 289s with a 195 F thermostat from factory and Walter reckons they were bang on the money. Anything less and the coolant doesn't spend long enough in the radiator to drop the temp sufficiently. Walter further states that 80% of all cooling related issues experienced are attributable to either a faulty or incorrectly spec'ed thermostat and since this is the cheapest and easiest component to replace he recommends that this should be the first port of call.

Now I'm not saying that what Walter is saying is gospel, but he makes a lot of sense, so I'm going to follow his advice. I mean, what have I really got to lose.

So, with renewed vigour I popped the Mustang up on my ramps this morning and dropped the coolant. Pulled the thermostat that is currently in the engine and sure enough .... it's a 160 F jobbie. Looks to be pretty new too, so I'm guessing the PO has been in here already.

Anyhoo, I've got a new 180 F thermostat on the shelf but I'm thinking I might just source a 195 and give it a whirl.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode as Flash shares more of his cooling related ignorance. 

20220922_111613.jpg

• Like 7

Cooling Issue - Chapter 5

I'm now running a 180 F thermostat in a freshly flushed system. I've also bypassed my fan switch so that my Spal runs permanently.

Took the car out on a 50km open road journey and at first things looked promising. Then during the last 5km of the journey whilst travelling along at around 80 km/h at steady revs with no cars ahead of me, the temp needle suddenly started to inch higher until it reached the highest that I have experienced so far. Got home and quickly grabbed the infrared temp sensor gun. Yep, sure enough 209 F on the thermostat housing. That is almost 10 degrees higher than my previous record. Checked the top radiator hose at idle and that was sitting at 184 F compared to the bottom radiator hose at 163 F.

So, although the 180 F thermostat seems to hold the temp down for longer than the 160 F thermostat did, it's definitely not the silver bullet I was hoping for.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Cooling issue - Chapter 6

Spent a few hours yesterday pulling the front of the car apart and have temporarily removed the a/c condenser that is located in front of the radiator. My thinking being that this may be impeding airflow.

Time will tell, I guess.

20220925_094745.jpg

20220925_115541.jpg

• Like 1

Cooling Issue - Chapter 7

Took the Muzzy out for a hoon this morning, whilst taking some readings with the infrared temp gun.

Maximum top temp on the thermostat housing - 183 F

Upper radiator hose - 156 F

Lower radiator hose - 145 F

Looks like the removal of the a/c condenser from in front of the radiator has drastically improved air flow to the point where my cheapy 3 row aluminium radiator can now cope.

Since running without a/c is not a long-term solution I'm thinking a radiator upgrade is on the cards.

I've read some good reports about the Scott Drake (Shelby licensed) 2 row aluminium radiators. Even although it's only a two row, the tubes are 1 and 1/4 inches each and they have fitted a baffle in the top tank that aids coolant flow across the whole core. At around the $600 mark it's worth a punt I reckon, so one of these is top of my list for next month's Mustang spend.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Bless me Father for I have sinned. It has been two weeks since my last confession.

I've been driving the tits off the old Mustang and it's running really well. Even took it along to a local burger meet last Saturday night and got to swap a few yarns with the owner of a '65 that is similar in colour to ours. Started to rain before I got a chance to take a side by side photo, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Anyhoo one thing that I had noticed during my travels is that the starter motor behaves quite lazy on warm starts. Shoved it up on my ramps for a look see and sure enough the right hand side exhaust branch is hard up against the body of the starter motor. Noice !

A bit tricky to photo, but you get the idea:

20220918_103947.jpg

20220918_104018.jpg

• Like 3

Some have solved the starter issue by fitting an aftermarket high torque mini jobbie which supposedly provides more header clearance, so I ordered one in.

It arrived late last week so I chucked the Muzzy back on the stands. Had to pull the header off to get the original flapper style starter out, then mucked about with the angle settings on the new high torque to get it tucked as close to the engine block as possible.

Offered up the exhaust branch and ...... instant fail.

Not even enough clearance to fully tighten the header bolts.

Tried all of the possible adjustment settings on the mini, but the pics below show the best I could manage and again I wasn't able to fully tighten the header bolts.

Okay so that's not going to work.

Ended up ditching the mini and have reinstalled the original.

Not really proud to admit this, but I ended up spanking the offending header tube with a BFH to create a bit of clearance and I'll order in one of those silver heat shield blankets that are supposed to help.

Thanks for reading. 

20221014_102443.jpg

20221014_122541.jpg

20221014_122553.jpg

20221014_122602.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...