Flash's 66 Mustang

Flash

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flash

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's plan was to fit the refurbished heater box. But, before that during the strip down I had noticed that the firewall sound deadening mat thingy - although in good condition - was hanging loose and flopping about. Traced the issue to missing plastic plugs that push through the  mat into factory drilled holes in the firewall. In one of my parts orders I included a set of the upgraded metal plugs, so I figured I was good to go.

Not.

Turns out I should have looked more closely at the mat as the mounting holes have been torn open to the point where the plug heads are not big enough to hold the mat in place. Faffed about with some stainless steel washers on the plugs but then the little prongs wouldn't push through the firewall due to the thickness of the washer. Bugger.

I could have trimmed the little tabs a bit, but I figured just go straight to plan B.

Ended up fitting some stainless steel button heads with said washers and it worked perfectly.

20220710_095049.jpg

20220710_095100.jpg

20220710_095006.jpg

20220710_095023.jpg

20220710_104934.jpg

20220710_104915.jpg

• Like 8

I then turned my attention to the blower switch and wiring harness. 

First thing I wanted to figure out was how the bloody thing works as the wires run directly from the control panel to the heater box with no obvious input wire feeding the switch in the control panel

Had me really confused for a while, so I asked Uncle Google and it turns out that it's quite an interesting setup. The back of the blower motor sits in the engine bay and is permanently wired with a positive. It's the switch that is earthed through the dash mounted control panel. The three speed settings are achieved via a set of coiled wires that hide behind the little red plastic tab on the heater box. Bloody clever these Mericans.

Photos of the crusty looking switch and wiring harness:

20220710_115123.jpg

20220710_122954.jpg

20220710_122959.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

My poor old back has taken a bit of strain with all of the hours that I have spent under the dashboard, but despite this I've been steadily plugging away at the new wiring loom and fuse boxes that feed all of the non factory items. Finally put the finishing touches to it today, so was able to do a basic electrical test.

The ugly looking hazard light switch is now tucked away inside the glove box and after installing a replacement flasher unit and a new feed from the new battery fuse panel, these are now working for the first time in many years I suspect.

My sound system and the new USB socket for my blue tooth dongle are also working as planned and are now fed through the new ignition fed fuse box hidden under the glove box.

My pre owned 6 x 9 rear parcel shelf speakers work really well and I'm happy with the sound. In contrast the original kick panel speakers no longer sound that flash so I'm thinking of disconnnecting them and reinstalling the mid dash sterio speaker that I removed earlier in the piece. I'll try that tomorrow and will report back.

One issue that I do have is that the gauge cluster lights are no longer working. I suspect a loose connection on the light switch so I'll need to look at that tomorrow.

Lastly, I've rewired my door switches and included a switch that allows me to switch off the interior lights if I so choose, something that wasn't standard from factory. I've also replaced the dodgy old under dash light with modern LED strips.

It was a bugger crawling under the dashboard to get a photo of the new fuse boxes and it was pretty dark under there, so apologies for the crappy quality photo.

20220721_113458.jpg

• Like 9

First order of business today was to replace the "tinny" sounding kick panel speakers with the better quality centre dash speaker. Gave the tunes a quick test and I'm much happier with the sound quality now, 

While I was at it I installed the new demister duct kit that lives under the centre speaker grill.

And that's one more item ticked off the list. 

20220717_093724.jpg

• Like 4

A photo of the factory original under dash light socket and a few photos of the new LED underdash lights. I quite like the blue "mood" lighting which will set off the blue carpet and upholstery once that is all fitted. I also installed a light in the glove box and in the same photo you can see the new location for the emergency flasher light switch.

20220522_131200.jpg

20220722_110053.jpg

20220722_110059.jpg

20220722_110023.jpg

• Like 5

As previously mentioned I've tucked away a USB power socket and the bluetooth dongle in the factory ashtray which I lined with some high density foam to stop things from rattling around in there.

Sneaky peek inside with the ashtray open.

20220722_110348.jpg

• Like 3

Hey, hey it's centre console reconditioning day.

First up I gave the little rear light some loving.

The original lens was in pretty poor conddition and the housing was pretty grubby and patina'ed.

Did my best with a bit of hot soapy water and an old tooth brush then dabbed a bit of autosol about.

Chucked in some blue LED globes to match my under dash lights before fitting a new lense.

20220724_114321.jpg

20220724_114328.jpg

20220724_114804.jpg

20220724_115317.jpg

20220724_120553.jpg

20220724_120114.jpg

• Like 5

Next up was the rear ashtray.

The bowl was pretty crusty and the lid was sporting a light smear of old chewing gum. Nice !

Filled the bowl up with some vinegar which I left overnight and it managed to lift the really loose stuff. At the time I toyed with the idea of sanding and then painting the bowl, but decided to rather line it with a small piece of plastic drawer liner as I'm likely to just use it to hold coins or other small articles. 

Someone had replaced the hinge pins with some dodgy looking bits of wire and had managed to bend the ears resulting in a very floppy lid. After scraping the old chewing gum off the lid and giving it a clean the lid came out looking not too bad. I straightened up the ears and used some small galvanised nails as replacement hinge pins and the lid is now nicely secure.

It still looks pretty rough inside, but with the lid closed it presents really well.

In hindsight now looking at these photos, I think I might try sanding and painting the bowl. I'll just need to take care not to paint the exposed edge. But I'll leave that for another day.

Thanks for looking.

20220716_125039.jpg

20220716_125929.jpg

20220716_123243.jpg

20220716_125045.jpg

20220716_125052.jpg

20220724_122831.jpg

20220724_130433.jpg

• Like 6

The rest of the console work was pretty straight forward.

Gave the chrome bits some autosol loving and touched up 50 years worth of scratches and chips on the black accents with some craft paint.

It is missing a stainless steel front cap, but at $200 for a replacement, I'm going to live without it for a while longer.

20220716_122150.jpg

20220716_123226.jpg

20220724_131234.jpg

20220724_174529.jpg

• Like 3

Another sunny day here at Rough & Ready Restos and work on the assembly of the Mustang interior continues.

This morning's focus was on the moulded metal interior rear quarter panels.

I'd repainted these earlier in the piece so they just needed a little bit of final loving before assembly.

First up was to replace the well shagged internal weather strips with the replacements that came in the same kit as the door strips. I had removed the old strips before repainting the panels so it was just a case of instaling the new ones. These are fixed to each panel using metal staples that were supplied in the kit. It's a bit of a pain in the arse as I had heard that the factory drilled holes don't always line up with the staple locations on the repro seals. In my case this turned out to be true. So the only option was to poke a few new holes in my fresh paintwork ... grrrr.

Anyhoo, I got it done without incident and then it was just a case of slapping on a bit of sound deadening to replace the manky old felt underlay that was factory fitted.

Last item to go on was a new plastic washer to protect the new paintwork from the window winder handle. I'd like to replace these handles at some stage as they are a bit crusty looking and a fresh repro one is only $21 so well worth doing. So I've added a fresh set to my future shopping list.

The driver's side panel is now installed, but I have to leave the passenger one off for now as I'm waiting for a replacement window bump stop to arrive, but I'll save that interesting story for my next update.

Thanks for looking.

20220516_082351.jpg

20220516_082413.jpg

20220725_085528.jpg

20220725_094049.jpg

20220725_094833.jpg

20220725_100343.jpg

20220725_111200.jpg

• Like 4

Earlier in the week I mentioned an issue with a window bump stop.

Thought I'd share the whole story with you.

As you know the Mustang has a pillarless setup with both the front and rear side windows able to roll down. A good few weeks back I refurbished the windows mechanisms and associated components. The driver's side worked perfectly but over time I had noticed two issues with the passenger side. First issue was that the door window would wind up perfectly, but after opening and closing the door a few times I noticed that the window would drop about half an inch. The second issue was that when winding the rear window up it would sometimes not line up properly with the frame around the door window resutling in both metal strips clashing. Anyway, it started to bug me so over last weekend I decided to investigate further.

First step was to give the door window a closer look and I quickly discovered that by pushing down on the glass I could get the window to wind down. Not good. My first thought was that I might have installed the big "clock" spring incorrectly, but sadly not as I discovered after pulling the mechanism out. Asked Uncle Google and he reckoned the problem was likely to be a faulty regulator. They aren't that pricey so I ordered a new one in from my mate Rob at Sydney Mustang Parts. It arrived today so I swapped in the new regulator and that has solved the first issue. 

20220727_112052.jpg

20220727_113857.jpg

• Like 1