Flash's 66 Mustang

Flash

With my newly ordered radiator slowly meandering its way up from Victoria I figured I'd get ahead of the game by making a start on the battery relocation.

Now the old Muzzy boot is not the most spacious that you have ever come across with the full size spare wheel and mandatory Mustang branded kit bag that contains my emergency tool roll and jumper cables taking up most of the space available. Adding a battery into the mix is going to make things decidedly cozy.

So what to do :

258965139_565586037869715_3568931715726311854_n.jpg

259273440_1600591653634765_4359785054478977271_n.jpg

• Like 7

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flash

Top Posters In This Topic

Battery Relocation - Chapter 1

A few weeks back I ordered a 5-meter length of 230-amp battery cable.

My plan was to route this through the right-hand rear quarter panel and then down the inside of the door opening cunningly hidden under the factory thread plate. The only other thing needed was a hole in the firewall and a rubber grommet to protect the cable.

Whilst I was chucking in the big battery cable, I also ran a 5mm wire to my fuse box. This will allow me to keep power to my sound system and other bits and bobs even if my main battery cable is switched off by my anti-theft kill switch.

A few photos of the cabling which is now in position:

The wiring on my factory fitted starter solenoid together with the additional wiring for my thermo fan relays and fuses needs a bit of a tidy up, but I'll do that once I've finalised the plan in terms of thermo fans. More about that subject later.

Thanks for looking.

20221030_091936.jpg

20221029_094150.jpg

20221029_094153.jpg

20221030_092248.jpg

20221030_091950.jpg

• Like 8

Battery relocation - Chapter 2

Since the new battery cables are sitting on the right-hand side of the boot, it only made sense that I should locate the battery there. After a bit of thinking I figured the best solution would be if I could tuck the battery up against the side of the rear quarter panel, but that would necessitate cantilevering the whole thing over the void between the boot floor and the side. Not impossible to do. It will just need some beefy support as the battery is not the lightest thing around.

I scratched around in my shed and came up with a set of angled brackets that would do nicely. Drilling the mounting holes was the trick bit as I don't have one of those fancy 90 degree drills, but by dropping the right-hand exhaust I was able to squeeze my drill past the rear leaf spring and managed to poke through the 4 mounting holes needed. The brackets look a bit skew in this photo, but I had no choice as the panel has a slight angle to it. Nothing a few custom spacers won't fix.

20221028_095533.jpg

• Like 4

Battery relocation - Chapter 3

With the foundation brackets mounted in place I returned to the shed for another scratch around and came out with an old battery tray left over from one of my donor Mitsi vans. Had a good bit of surface rust but was otherwise solid. Chucked it in my vinegar bath for a day and it came out absolutely mint. Poked a few extra holes in it, cobbled up a few spacers and gave it a test fit. Works perfectly. Slapped a bit of primer and satin black on that sucker and we were ready to rock.

20221028_091910.jpg

20221028_091257.jpg

20221029_115306.jpg

• Like 7

Battery relocation - Chapter 4

Next step was to pull out the original engine bay battery shelf to create the additional space needed for my bigger radiator.

The whole thing is held in with 4 bolts and came out easy enough. What I really like about the Mustang tray is that it holds the battery down with a little foot clamp rather than the Mitsi tray which uses the old hooked threaded rods and a cross bar over the top of the battery.

Checked the dimensions on the Muzzy tray and its just slightly smaller than the Mitsi tray, so I figured why don't I see if I can modify the Muzzy tray to bolt inside the Mitsi tray. That way I get a nice double thickness tray to help support the battery over the void and at the same time I get to keep the neater foot clamp style battery mount which looks way neat.

Luckily the angle bracket on the Mustang tray is only held on with 3 tack welds, so those were easy enough to break. Cleaned the Muzzy tray up, poked a few more holes, slapped on some paint and the battery relocation is now done and dusted.

Very happy with the result.

20221030_082741.jpg

20221030_094655.jpg

20221031_082454.jpg

20221031_083331.jpg

• Like 5

With the battery now safely tucked up in its new home, I turned my attention to fine tuning the rest of the boot layout.

First up is the relocation of the spare wheel as its original position now clashes with the battery. Tried a few things and settled on trying to tuck the spare up against the back seat backing board. All that is needed is for me to replicate the factory hold down bracket that looks like so:

20221031_083938.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've kicked off step one of the EFI install which is determining a location to mount the mini surge tank that came with my EFI kit.

So, first off a bit of scene setting:

Fitech offer three fuel delivery options.

Option One is an eternal high-pressure rail mounted pump. Whist this is the most cost-effective solution from an initial purchase point of view, in reading through the Fitech  related tech info that is out there it seemed like a number of folk have battled to maintain consistent fuel pressure with this setup, largely due to pump cavitation caused by poorly setup input feeds. Most solutions seem to involve opening up the fuel tank to install baffles and bigger diameter fuel pickup lines and the like. This is way above my skill set and being a tight arse, I wasn't keen to outsource this to someone else.

Option Two involves retro fitting an in tank high pressure pump. Again, this entails some tank modifications which are way out of my comfort zone.

Option Three consists of a mini surge tank that incorporates an in-tank pump. This is the most expensive option from a purchase point of view, but to me it looks like the simplest way to achieve consistent fuel pressure without having to undertake "open tank" surgery. 

So, Option Three it was.

All that the surge tank needs is a low-pressure input line and an output line that feeds excess fuel back to the factory fuel tank. In terms of surge tank location the options are endless. Some folk have mounted the surge tank in the boot using a low pressure 12-volt pump as the feeder and then running a high-pressure fuel line all the way to the throttle body.

Another option is to mount the surge tank in the engine bay using the factory standard low pressure fuel line and mechanical fuel pump as the feeder. This is the option that I am going with for a number of reasons. First up I'm more comfortable with retaining the low-pressure fuel line under the car. Secondly, I'm keen to retain the original factory mechanical fuel pump as this allows me to re-install the carby with relative ease should I need to. My thinking being that if ever my EFI lets me down I'm able to get the car back up and running on the carby with very little effort.

So, where to find a spot in the engine bay for the little tank .......

Well luckily, I have a bit of real estate that was recently created by my battery relocation exercise and it's just perfect for my needs.

The tank comes with a mounting bracket that can be mounted on the bottom or side of the tank. I've gone for the side mounting option which will allow me to tuck the tank up hard against the radiator support panel.

First step was to change over the mounting bracket:

20221230_080329.jpg

20221229_084818.jpg

20221229_084836.jpg

20221229_085122.jpg

20221229_085302.jpg

20221229_085316.jpg

• Like 9