Flash's 1965 Ford Thames

Flash

While cruising around the neighbourhood I couldn't help but notice how rattly the rear barn doors are. Then when I gave the old Thames a bath the other day the back was absolutely saturated, so I figured it was about time that I fitted some rubber seals. that will hopefully solve both issues.

I rummaged around in the box of spares that came with the van when I bought it and sure enough there was a length of seal with what looked like the perfect profile for the job. Offered it up to the door surround channel and it was perfect. Only downside being that it needed gluing into the channel. Yuk, not my favorite job.

Anyway, took the bull by the balls and armed with a tube of contact adhesive and a few other bits and bobs, I cracked straight in.

I'll let the glue go off overnight and can then strip the bits of masking tape that I used to hold the seal in place.

Thanks for looking.

20230701_104847.jpg

20230701_104415.jpg

20230701_114703.jpg

20230701_132346.jpg

• Like 8

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flash

Top Posters In This Topic

Rear door alignment - Chapter 1

While I'm focusing on the rear barn doors, I figured it was time to see if I could sort out the door gaps. From day one they have been all over the show with signs of rubbing on the two top corners where the doors meet.

Now in hindsight this job would have been much easier without having to fight against new rubber seals that still need to bed in, but it's too late for that now, so I just had to crack into it.

First step was to loosen off the old door bolts. I hate these things with a passion as they always look crap with bits of flaking paint and weeping rust and the star heads make them a real bugger to get out if they haven't been moved in a while. Long term I'm thinking I'll do the same as I did on my Bedford van and replace them with stainless steel machine screws, but that's for another day.

So as is typical with these things all but one of the bolts backed off okay. Ended up having to use an easy out for the last bolt. Did I mention how much I hate these bastards.

20230701_124703.jpg

20230701_124727.jpg

20230701_124718.jpg

20230701_124754.jpg

20230701_125442.jpg

• Like 6

Rear door alignment - Chapter 2

Removing the hinges revealed that the painters had left bare steel under the mounting surfaces ... nice.

Gave it a bit of a scuff and a splash of rust converter and did the same to the back of the hinges.

20230702_101302.jpg

20230702_102209.jpg

20230702_102441.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

Carby Replacement - Chapter 2

Breaking open the bubble pack containing the Redline adapter plate the first thing that I noticed was that - apart from a funky shaped new stud - the fixings for the adapter plate looked pretty short. Gave Chris at Pro-Carb a quick call and he confirmed that the adapter plate is meant to replace the factory phenolic spacer.

Now this doesn't sit right with me for two reasons:

First up you lose the engine breather pipe connection that is incorporated into the factory spacer.

Secondly, I would be removing what little protection the carby has from engine heat and this is of particular concern on the 3Y engine where the exhaust manifold sits directly under the inlet manifold.

So, I made an executive decision to retain the phenolic spacer which means that I need to source/fabricate longer bolts and studs.

I rummaged around in my box of spare bolts and found two Allen key headed jobbies that had the correct threads. One was a perfect length but the other needed slight modification. Cracked into it with my dye set and angle grinder and in next to no time I had two suitable replacements.

In true Rough & Ready Restos style I substituted the straight stud with a longer bolt of similar thread that I just cut the head off.

The funky shaped stud is going to be an interesting one to replicate, so I've put that aside for now as I'm able to mock everything up just using the 3 mounting points in the meantime. 

With that done I headed over to my spare engine currently languishing in the naughty corner and began putting things together.

20230706_102801.jpg

20230706_100352.jpg

20230706_091849.jpg

20230706_093618.jpg

20230706_100343.jpg

• Like 2

Carby Replacement - Chapter 3

The eagle eyed amongst you would have noticed an interesting looking inlet circled in red on the last photo in my previous post.

There is a difference between the two inlet manifolds that I currently possess. The one fitted to my working engine has a blank off plate whilst the one fitted to my spare engine has an inlet incorporated. I guess the one with the inlet uses a plain phenolic spacer rather than the one I am currently using.

I toyed with the idea of swapping the spare manifold across to the van, but I'd have to source a new gasket and also a plain spacer without the inlet, so I discounted that idea.

Photos of the two manifolds to compare:

20230706_084703.jpg

20230706_100343.jpg

• Like 1

Carby Replacement - Chapter 5

Tried fitting the new carby to the spare engine, but it catches on the kick down cable holder incorporated in the accelerator cable mounting bracket.

Luckily, we don't need that, so I lopped it off and chucked a bit of galv paint on the bracket.

Gave it another go.

The good news is that the carby now fits.

The bad news is that the accelerator cable doesn't line up.

But fear not as I have a plan that I will crack into tomorrow.

20230705_123729.jpg

20230706_095203.jpg

20230706_100155.jpg

• Like 8

Carby top hat - Chapter 1

Time to crack into an air filter setup for the new carby.

The kit from Pro-Carb included one of those "bolt on" performance air filters which I knew I wasn't going to use.

Looking closely at the factory top hat that worked with the original Aisin carby I realised that due to the height of the choke tubes on the FAJS its way to big a job to modify this to fit.

So, my current thought is to modify the supplied performance air filter to act as a top hat. The loose plan being to substitute the filter portion with a sealed surround and then hang a round outlet off the side of the housing that I can attach my flex tube to.

A few photos of the parts involved plus an old photo of my current "under floor" setup for reference purposes: 

20230709_093204.jpg

20230709_093419.jpg

20230709_093651.jpg

20230709_100634.jpg

20201007_101710.jpg

• Like 6

Carby top hat - Chapter 2

Some of you may be wondering why I don't just run the performance air filter as is.

Two reasons really.

First up I want to keep the Hi-Ace factory setup that has a remote air box with an under-floor air intake as I'm keen to get as much cool air into the carby as I can.

Secondly although there is enough space between the top of the carby and the cabin floor to accommodate the performance jobbie, this really is a myth as there isn't enough clearance to get the filter cartridge over the choke tubes. I'd have to remove the whole carby from the manifold every time I wanted to swap out the filter. Not practical at all.

Anyway, getting back to how I'm going about making a new top hat:

Due to its complex form there is no way that my rather mediocre metal fabrication skills are up to the task of replicating the Toyota top hat.  Further to that there is just no fun in outsourcing the task, so I'm currently leaning towards making something myself using fibre glass.

First step is to make a buck .... jeez look at me coming up with the correct technical term. One would almost think I know what I am doing.

Both bucks will end up on the inside of the moulded fibreglass, so they need to be soft enough to break out afterwards.

Started off with a few offcuts of plaster board and some liquid nails and made myself a little GYB sandwich.... yummy.

I'll let the glue go off overnight and then smooth out the edges.

A rattle can lid is the perfect diameter for my flex tube once I've chucked a few layers of fibre over it, so I ended up rolling a thin piece of cardboard around the lid and shaped it into roughly what I need.

Both efforts look as rough as guts at the moment, but it's still early days in the process.

I've got enough cloth, but I need to head into town for some fresh resin as my tin has gone hard. So that is the plan for tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

20230709_132335.jpg

20230709_132220.jpg

20230709_132304.jpg

• Like 9

I'm still fiddling away with the carby hat and will provide a further update on that subject once I have something reasonable to share, but in between I've been playing around with front coil springs. 

Yet another thing that I noticed during my drives around the neighbourhood is that the suspension feels really bouncy, well a lot more bouncy than I was expecting. The front shocks are the original units from the Starwagon donor van and they test okay so my current focus is on the front coil springs and my initial thoughts are that they may be a tad weak. The coils currently in use are a set of King Springs out of a Holden HR ute.

I've still got the original Mitsi front coils tucked away in the shed, so I figured I'd swap the King Springs out for these just to see if the ride improved.

First step was to give the old springs a bit of a clean-up just so that they are nicer to handle.

Took to them with a wire wheel and they look and feel a lot better.

Chucked them in and let things settle overnight.

First thing I noticed is that the front ride height is absolutely nasty with huge fender gaps up front. Overall look now resembles a gasser.

Anyway, looks aside I took the van for a run around my usual test track and the suspension bounce is no better.

Whilst I had both loose springs side by side I took some measurements and the results are quite interesting.

Overall spring height (loose) - King 250mm, Mitsi 278mm

Wire diameter - King 16mm, Misti 17mm

Coil o/d - King 125mm, Mitsi 125mm

Coil i/d - King 93mm, Mitsi 92mm

So pretty comparable sizes between the two, but what is interesting is the difference in ride height between the two:

Measurement from floor to top of fender gap: King 600mm, Mitsi 665mm

Since the difference in overall loose spring height is only 28mm, the height difference under full van weight is 65mm which tells me that the King Springs are compressing heaps more than the original Mitsi springs under load.

So, where to go here.

Well, I'm not exactly sure. I could chuck the Kings back in or I could give the Mitsi units a Makita hair cut to get the van down to the same ride height, the theory being that cutting out a coil or two might make the Mitsi units stiffer.

Whether that will sort out the bouncy feeling I'm not sure.

Perhaps some stiffer front shocks are required.

I'm really just guessing at this stage.

Would love to hear the opinion of others on this subject, so feel free to share your thoughts.

Thanks for reading.

20230703_105057.jpg

20230703_124012.jpg

20230712_120454.jpg

20230712_124513.jpg

• Like 6

While taking my cement pavers for a scoot around the village, I noticed that my idling was all over the place.

Back at base camp I lifted the engine box lid for a bit of a nosey and noticed that the built in return spring on the carby wasn't always returning the throttle mechanism back to rest.

Checked out the accelerator linkage blister pack that came with the carby conversion and noticed a neat looking little spring included in the pack. That will do the trick, I thought.

Scratched my head a bit working out an option for a holding bracket, then remembered the little auto kick down cable that I cut off the main cable bracket last week. Luckily it was still sitting on my work bench, so a bit of cutty, cutty and drilly, drilly followed by a spritz of satin black and I was able to sandwich it under the locking nut on the accelerator cable.

The result looks just like a bought one.

20230713_085844.jpg

20230713_085929.jpg

20230713_090711.jpg

20230713_091336.jpg

20230713_092428.jpg

20230713_104011.jpg

• Like 6

Carby Hat - Chapter 3

I've been chipping away at the carby hat in between other jobs.

I wasn't happy with my original buck for the rounded part, so ended up building a mark 2 version out of a block of wood, a bit of electrical conduit and some rattle can lids.  

Next step was to cover the new version in paper mâché which took a few days to go off. I was then able to split the paper mâché creation in half and peel it off the wood and plastic bits. Then I used some additional paper mâché to glue the two halves back together. That took another 2 days to air dry.

Final step was to cover the paper mâché and plaster board creations with a layer of gaffer tape and then earlier today I laid down my first layer of fibreglass on both parts.

This is all a bit of an experiment, so it's going to be interesting to see how things turn out.

20230711_093623.jpg

20230711_093705.jpg

20230711_094707.jpg

20230711_111033.jpg

20230714_090856.jpg

20230714_091513.jpg

20230716_120141.jpg

20230716_120152.jpg

20230711_092324.jpg

20230716_130923.jpg

• Like 7

Carby hat - Chapter 4

Checked the status first thing this morning and the fibreglass had gone nice and hard overnight.

Time to break out the bucks.

Pulling out the paper mâché buck that I used on the tubular bit was a piece of piss.

Not so much with the plasterboard sandwich that I used for the main body. That one took a bit of effort.

If I had to do this again, I'd use a modified margarine tub instead of the GYB. 

Time for a cuppa and then I'll crack into the next stage.

20230717_091516.jpg

20230717_091534.jpg

20230717_094207.jpg

20230717_094221.jpg

• Like 2