Flash

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flash

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheels and tyres - Chapter 1

I needed to tidy up the edges of the floor cut where the gear selector pokes through and then touched up the paint. Being in a bit of a holding pattern until the paint dries, I thought I'd play around with some wheels.

Started off by focusing on the rear which currently runs a rather crusty looking set of old school 14 inch Dragways in the decidedly anorexic 6J width. I'm thinking of going up to 15 inch diameters but width wise I wasn't quite sure what I would be able to fit under the guards.

Borrowed a 7J Hotwire off my mate Grant that has been fitted with a 205 tyre, but there was still heaps of space so I then decided to pull the 8J wheels off the Mustang to see how they look. Started off by trying one of the Mustang fronts which is fitted with a 225/50/15 tyre. Looked bloody good.

Next I tried one of the Mustang rears which is also an 8J rim but is fitted with a 245/50/15 tyre.

Whilst the 245 looks killer it's just a smidge over the limit from a cert perspective so I'm going to stick with the 225/50/15 tyre.

20220627_114854.jpg

20230523_104143.jpg

20230523_104154.jpg

20230523_104216.jpg

• Like 8

Wheels and tyres - Chapter 2

This morning I spent a bit of time focusing on wheel options for the front and this is where I have hit a bit of a snag.

The L300 front suspension has a wider track width than the original Thames unit which results in the existing 6J Dragways extending slightly past the body line. The current tyre is a commercial grade jobbie that is 175mm wide, but even if I was to drop to a 165mm tyre I'm still not going to be legal. To make matters worse I can't get anything narrower than a 165 in the diameter, profile and load rating that I need.

So, the other option that I have is to look for a narrower wheel.

My local supplier only lists my new wheel of choice in a minimum width of 6J with a N6 backspace which leaves me with the same issue.

I was hoping that the existing Dragway would have a larger back space, so I took some measurements but sadly it's also a N6.

Bugger !

After lunch I thought I would ask The Google for some options and as luck would have it I ended up on the wheel manufacturer's website in Merica and they just so happen to list a 4J x 15 in the style that I am chasing. Grabbed the manufacturer's part number and gave my local supplier a ring to see if he can source these for me.

I'm currently awaiting a call back, so fingers crossed.

20230524_130200.jpg

20230524_130222.jpg

20230524_130248.jpg

• Like 7

Jeez, this remote brake booster is doing my head in.

It needs a bubble flare on both the input and output lines, and I just can't get them to seal properly.

I've remade both pipes twice, but the bloody things are still leaking. 

Would appreciate any suggestions from those more knowledgeable than myself.

20230601_113255.jpg

20230601_113402.jpg

• Like 2

So, a bit of an interesting day today.

Chucked a battery in the old Thames and hit the starter push button. Engine turned over but when I let the button go starter carried on. Looks like the old push button has got a bit sticky. Bypassed the button for now and then gave it another try. Turned over grand but wouldn't fire.

Pulled a plug lead off .... no spark. Pulled the dizzy cap off ... no spark at points. Checked voltage at coil ... spot on. Checked voltage on thin wire connected to dizzy terminal ... voltage good. Checked voltage at points ... nothing. Scratched around in the shed and found the old dizzy. Clipped in the wire from the coil, chucked on an earth and spun the dizzy by hand. Got spark across the dirty old points. Took the dirty old condenser off the old dizzy and put it on the new dizzy and ..... she fired straight up. Go figure....

20230604_103757.jpg

• Like 8

I started off the morning by draining the gearbox.

Before installing it, I'd given it a flush and some fresh oil, so I was keen to see its condition. 

Sure enough, the oil is loaded with glitter.

I spent the rest of the morning pulling the box out and its now on the floor.

20230607_141425.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Wheels - Chapter 4

I treated myself to a lighter day in the shed today and played around with some wheels.

In terms of my current wheel choice the news hasn't been good. The local importer for American Racing Wheels has confirmed that there are currently no 4, 4.5 or 5J Torq Thrusts in the country. They can be ordered from Merica, but the anticipated lead time is somewhere between 6 months and a year. To add insult to injury 8J wheels in my preferred style have been discontinued. Double bugger!

The readily available sizes are 6J and 7J, so with that in mind I turned my attention back to seeing what I could achieve with my 6J wheels - purely as a proof of concept before pulling the trigger on a new set. 

My 6Js are currently fitted with a set of 185/14 commercial grade tyres which although not specifically marked, appear to be an 80 profile tyre. Apart from sitting proud of the body the current tyres rub on the bodywork. I was chatting to Blake my local wheel and tyre guy earlier in the week and he offered to fit a narrower loan tyre to my wheel for test purposes. So on Friday I headed into town and we fitted a 165/65/14.

You can see the difference between old and borrowed in this photo:

20230609_115424.jpg

• Like 5

Wheels - Chapter 5

First task this morning was to pull the driver's side front spring and shock so that I could check tyre clearance at full suspension travel.

The good news is that the borrowed 165/65/14 clears the bodywork. 

The first bit of bad news is that it looks absolutely puny with heaps of guard clearance.

The second bit of bad news is that the road clearance between the front cross member (the lowest part on the van) and the road with this tyre fitted is currently 120mm so I can't really drop the van enough to lessen the fender gap to something more decent looking without running afoul of the cert rules.

The third bit of bad news is that the tyre rating is just below the required load rating for my van, so again something that would prevent cert.

20230609_123041.jpg

• Like 4

Wheels - Chapter 6

All is not lost though:

Now that I know that a 165mm wide tyre gives me sufficient clearance, I should be able to fit a 165/70/14 which combined with a little more low, may fill the fender gap enough.

The good news is that the 70 profile tyre will comply from a load rating point of view.

The other option is to go for a 165/65/15 that also complies from a load rating point of view.

In order to compare the look of a 14 inch to 15 inch diameter wheel I quickly pinched one of the 15s off the Mustang.

At this moment I'm leaning towards the 15s in terms of looks. The Mustang wheel is an 8J with 225/50/15 rubber and it looks really good on the back.

Once I get the rear leaf springs reset, I reckon the 8J would look absolutely perfect on the rears. Pity I can't get 8Js in my wheel choice.

20230611_124846.jpg

• Like 9