Flash's 1965 Ford Thames

Flash

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flash

Top Posters In This Topic

Righto, so the last version of the gear shifter that featured the remote gearstick failed the test as the sideways throw for gate selection turned out to be excessive resulting in a shifting motion akin to stirring porridge.

So, I pulled the mechanism out and banished it to the naughty corner with the rest of the debris from previous failed attempts.

20230129_102348.jpg

• Like 3

With another spectacular failure under my belt, I spent a bit of time in front of the computer trolling back through my build thread to refresh my memory on each shifter option I've trialled so far. Looks like the Mitsi Express floor shifter was one of the more successful attempts albeit with a revered shift pattern.

So, I gave it a dust off and crawled under the van with it to see what I could do.

20210214_130045.jpg

• Like 1

The base of the Express shifter has been hacked to buggery, but at least it's still functional so my latest plan was to see if I could mount it in the tunnel and then somehow reverse the shift pattern on the gearbox side.

Managed to get it temporarily mounted up inside the tunnel. 

Looks like a dog's breakfast, but nothing I can't tidy up if it turns out to be a functional solution.

20230130_113203.jpg

20230130_113210.jpg

• Like 3

With the shifter bolted in place I hopped into the cab to see how bad it looked above the floor. The gear stick angle needed tweaking, so I cut that off and welded it back at a different angle.

It's not really the smooth look I was hoping for with just a dust boot covering the stick, but hey if it works, I can live with having to make a little cover to hide the nastiness.

I made myself feel a bit better about the whole thing by quickly fitting an old tractor gear knob that I had sourced a while ago.

20230130_113100.jpg

20230130_113133.jpg

• Like 5

The Express mechanism works beautifully with a nice smooth motion, and it consistently springs back into the neutral position when slapped out of gear which is something that all of my other attempts had failed to do. As mentioned earlier the only issue is the reversed shift pattern which unfortunately, I'm not prepared to live with.

So, my attention turned to the gearbox side of things to see what I could do to rectify the shift pattern.

The gear selection was easy to resolve by installing a longer morse cable that I already had in stock and looping it around to the rear of the gearbox so that it would pull on the lever rather than pushing. Worked perfectly with only slightly more force needed on the gearstick, but definitely something that I can live with.

The gate selection was slightly trickier. I tried the same solution using a longer morse cable, but the latency in the longer sheath causes the drop out to neutral to be a bit hit and miss. So definitely a shorter cable is needed.

I then turned to my junk pile and discovered this little gem that came out of my HiAce donor van:

20230129_113313.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my reservoir hoses for the new brake master cylinder sorted out. I had to use barbed fittings in order to sort out the different diameter fittings on both sides, but it looks neat enough, I reckon. Just need to pick up some appropriately sized hose clamps on my next town run.

Also fitted the custom fabricated stainless steel push rod that I had made up a while back. Needed this to connect the Thames brake pedal to the Nissan master cylinder.

Next step brakes wise is to fabricate a new set of hard brake lines throughout. 

20230213_133031.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I was going great guns on fabricating my new hard brake lines until the little flare nut die self-destructed on me.

Being in a bit of a holding pattern while I waited for a replacement to be delivered, I thought I'd crack into a few non-essential tasks that have been lurking around on the "to do" list for a while now.

First up I thought I'd give the rather crusty windscreen demister nozzles a bit of a birthday. I sourced these from a chap in the UK who was wrecking a van a while back. Although all of the vans had the demister openings factory pressed into the all-metal dashboard only those vans that were equipped with the optional heater got the actual nozzles mounted to the back of the dash, so they are a pretty rare item.

Anyway after a quick tickle with a flapper disc followed by a few days in a vinegar bath they didn't look half bad. Chucked some satin paint on both the inside and outside and then fixed them in place with some fresh stainless steel self-tappers.

I still need to figure out what I'm going to do from a demister point of view, but at least the nozzles are in place for now.

20210517_103723.jpg

20210605_121806.jpg

20230223_112350.jpg

20230223_134021.jpg

• Like 7

Next up I decided to fit the new door handles that have been languishing on the shelf since mid 2020. The base plate on the original driver's side door handle was broken resulting in a wobbly handle and an ugly crack that you can't help but notice every time you open the door. Another of the handles had been replaced at some stage resulting in a set of 3 mismatched keys, so not ideal.

Replacing the two front handles and the rear "T" handle was a doddle, just needed to trim down the square shafts to suit. 

Chucked in a new set of gaskets while I was at it.

Locks match on all 3 doors now.

Thanks for looking.

20200318_173116.jpg

20230223_123312.jpg

20230217_130349.jpg

• Like 9

Now that I've got a single key working all of my new door locks, I thought I'd try to match the ignition to the same key.

My replacement set of door handles came with an extra handle for those vans fitted with a side door, so my first thought was to see if I could swap the key barrel in the ignition for the one from the spare door handle. Pulled both barrels out for comparison, but yeah, nah ... barrels don't match. 

Next thought was to swap the little brass thingies between lock barrels. Watched a few youtube "how to" videos that demonstrated pulling the brass bits out with a set of long nose pliers while dodging a bunch of small springs flying all over the place. Looked simple enough so I tried my luck with both barrels, but the buggers wouldn't budge so in true "Rough & Ready Restos" fashion I moved on Plan C which entailed using some brute force and ignorance. 

Shoving the new key into the original ignition barrel I noticed that only two of the brass plates were sitting slightly proud on the one side of the barrel and a single plate on the opposite side. Some light work with a metal file sorted that out and I now have a single key that fits all three door locks as well as the ignition switch.

Ignition barrel on the right and spare door lock barrel on the left in this photo shows the difference.

20230223_123351.jpg

• Like 9

Yesterday my new brake pipe flaring tool pitched up and I've got to say that this tool is a vast improvement over my old one. My old tool was the one with the small push in flare die that uses the horseshoe shaped screw press. The new tool is a hollowed-out block style with the double ended screw in die. 

I always found the old tool a bit "hit or miss" but with the new tool I'm consistently getting perfect flares so it's obviously idiot proof.

AAA+++ would happily trade again.

Old tool is the one in the black box:

20230228_120517.jpg

20230228_120501.jpg

• Like 6

As previously mentioned, I want to replace the standard Toyota 3Y alternator with a higher amperage unit that I can use to power a 12-volt a/c compressor as I don't have enough real estate around the mighty 3Y to run a belt driven a/c compressor.

I've just recently upgraded the Mustang to a 140-amp single wire unit and I'm very happy with how that alternator is performing. It was also a fairly decent price, so I thought I'd see what I could do in terms of fitting the same alternator to the Thames.

I grabbed my old Mustang unit and sat it next to the Toyota one for a quick eyeball.

Comparing the outer dimensions of both units they look pretty close so that is something positive. All that I need to bear in mind is that the new 140-amp unit is slightly longer than the mock up one, but I've checked that out already and I should have plenty of clearance.

Next thing to address is the pulley. The Mustang pulley is a single V whereas the Toyota unit is a multi V. Scrounged around in my spare parts pile and found a spare alternator with the correct pulley. It's a bit crusty but nothing a little quality time in my vinegar bath won't sort out.

Quickly, swapped the pulleys over and I'm all ready for a test fit.

First photo below is of the existing Toyota alternator all bolted up.

Second photo is of the Mustang and Toyota units before the pulley swap. The Mustang unit is the top one.

20230305_111337.jpg

20230305_103847.jpg

• Like 4

With the alternator pulleys swapped around, I moseyed on over to the 3Y and quickly pulled off its alternator.

Offered the Mustang unit up to the Toyota mounting bracket and yeah, nah ..... alignment is way out.

Didn't fancy having to fabricate a new mounting bracket so thought I'd take a punt at spinning the Toyota bracket around.

First photo is of the bracket in its standard position.

Second photo is of the bracket mounted backwards.

20230305_111459.jpg

20230305_111630.jpg

• Like 2