Flash's 1965 Ford Thames

Flash

Now that our dog has a comfy wee seat, earlier today we headed out for our longest cruise in the Thames thus far. The dog absolutely loves her new spot. The cushion is a perfect height so she can look out of her own little side windows and the sliding glass in the front doors means she is in the sweet spot in terms of catching good air smells as we cruise about.

Talking about smells there is still a distinct fuel smell every now and again. At first I thought it was maybe because I'm still not running an air filter, but the other day @yoeddynz mentioned that he was experiencing a similar issue with a customer's HiAce that has had the same carby conversion done and he suspected it was due to a poorly adjusted float level. Well, Alex was bang on the money.

After pulling out my passenger seat and the side of the engine box, I was able to shine a torch down onto the little carby drip tray and there are definite signs of some leakage.

20230806_115531.jpg

• Like 7

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flash

Top Posters In This Topic

Took the van for a quick squirt around the neighbourhood to test the manual steering. As I turned into our driveway she suddenly died. Pulled a plug lead to check for spark ... nada.

Pulled the dizzy cap off to check spark at points. Turned the engine over and the rotor wasn't rotating .... WTF.

Pulled the dizzy apart and the shaft is broken. That will teach me for buying one off fleabay. 

I'm going to head into town on Monday to visit our local Toyota Parts Depot to see if I can source a reputable dizzy from them.

Oh......  and in other news manual steering is pants compared to my power steering, so guess what I am refitting tomorrow ?

https://youtu.be/l6S6nJY7t68

• Like 4

Front stabiliser bar - Chapter 1

Up to now I've been running the van without a front stabiliser bar, and I am experiencing quite a bit of body roll under heavy cornering. So, it's time to do something about it.

Now way back in the "Proof of Concept phase" I played around with stabiliser bar options and at the time I managed to test fit the bar that I harvested from my Mitsi Express donor van. However, a lot has happened since then so I wasn't feeling too confident that it would still fit. It's been languishing in the corner of our back carport for a few years now, so has gained a bit of extra surface rust, but apart from that and some crusty rubbers it still looks servicable.

Dragged it under the Thames and wrestled it into position.

Yea, nah .....

I wasn't able to lift the cross bar up into its final chassis mounting points as it's fighting for position with the lower radiator tank and the radiator looks like it's going to win that battle. 

The curly bit on the driver's side is also dangerously close to the brake master cylinder and brake pipes. Whilst I may be able to reroute the brake pipes, I'd rather keep well away from my master cylinder if I can.

As a result, I've banished the Express bar to the naughty corner for now.

Express bar.jpg

Express bar 3.jpg

Express bar 2.jpg

• Like 5

Front stabiliser bar - Chapter 2

The next bar that I tried is the one from the Starwagon donor van. As a result the ends of this bar bolt up perfectly to the mounts on my lower control arms, but alas the rest of the bar clashes with the forward-facing steering shaft.

So, it's a firm no from me.

Starwagon bar.jpg

Starwagon bar 2.jpg

Starwagon bar 3.jpg

• Like 4

Front stabiliser bar - Chapter 3

The next thing that I tried was to fit the Starwagon bar rearwards facing.

It fits nicely in the little hollow between the engine and gearbox, but clashes with the rear facing strut rods and would be an absolute nightmare to mount, so again it's a firm no from me.

Starwagon bar 4.jpg

Starwagon bar 5.jpg

• Like 5

Front stabiliser bar - Chapter 5

Spent the morning fine tuning the positioning of the HiAce stabiliser bar and it fought me every step of the way.

This bar came off a van that was equipped with torsion bar front suspension and as a result the stabiliser drop ends don't play that nicely with the bell-shaped coil spring/shock towers that my L300 front end is blessed with. Moving the bar forward enough to clear the towers through full suspension travel then caused the drop ends to clash with the steering rack ends. Finally, I moved the bar further forward so it's now in front of the steering rack ends.

Just when I thought that I was out of the woods, I then had a clash between the main bar and the mounting bracket for my clutch master cylinder. I managed to solve that issue by putting a 25mm spacer between my chassis legs and the stabiliser U clamps.

With the bar temporarily mounted on some blocks of wood to represent the spacers, I then spent a bit of time making sure that everything clears not only during full steering movement but also during full suspension travel. The good news is that there is ample clearance. The first photo below shows the gap between the drop end and my front wheel at full lock.

The final job for today was to create a little cardboard template for the lower control arm mounts. I've had to shape the mounting bracket in such a way that it clears the coil spring seat as well as the original stabiliser mounting brackets as I don't want to cut off the original mounts. Everything will be bolt in, so I don't have to perform any welding on my lower control arms.

The plan for tomorrow is to carve up a crusty looking piece of 6mm steel plate and a section of 25mm square tube to create the final components.

HiAce stabiliser 9.jpg

HiAce stabiliser 8.jpg

Stabiliser bracket 1.jpg

Stabiliser bracket 2.jpg

Stabiliser bracket 3.jpg

• Like 9

Front stabiliser bar - Chapter 6

After giving it some more thought last night there is a slight change of plan in terms of the stabiliser bar mounting brackets.

The bracket is a little more complicated than just a flat bit of plate as it has a little indented cup that the isolation rubbers sit in. So, I need to somehow recreate that cup. Also, I'm using two existing bolt holes on each lower control arm to fix the plates, but one of the holes already holds down the strut rod brace. My original plan was to fabricate a spacer for the other hole to keep my new bracket level, but then I realised that I could do something nifty that will allow me to create the cup and a spacer all in one.

My amended bracket will thus consist of three layers of steel plate. The centre layer will be cut out of 9mm steel. The lower plate will be 6mm plate with a bigger 26mm hole to create the lower cup and a cut at the other end to accommodate the strut rod brace. The upper plate will be 3mm thick with another 26mm hole to create the upper cup. I'll fizz all three plates together by running a weld around the outer edges. The result will be a lot stronger than my original design.

So with my new plan in place, I cracked straight into a bit of metal carving. Started off by creating the first 6mm plate as a template for the hole spacing and to double check the fit with something more ample than my cereal box template. The test fit went well so I then carved my first 9mm plate out of a chunky bit of angle iron that I had lying around. Poked a few more holes and then trimmed the end off the 6mm plate to clear the strut rod brace.

It's starting to take shape nicely. Next job is to drill out the end hole in the 6mm plate to 26mm to create the cup. 

More tomorrow.

20230818_125542.jpg

20230818_112924.jpg

6mm stabiliser bracket.jpg

20230818_125558.jpg

20230818_134236.jpg

• Like 8

Front stabiliser bar - Chapter 8

Started the morning off by poking the rest of the holes in my bracket wafers.

Next step is to bolt the wafers together in their correct order and then trim the edges of each wafer flush before welding them together.

However, I decided to give my long-suffering neighbours the day off from my grinder. It's the very least I can do on a Sunday.

More tomorrow when everyone else is back at work.

20230820_111439.jpg

• Like 6

Front stabiliser bar - Chapter 11

Loaded Mrs Flash and our wee dog into the Thames for a blatt around our neighbourhood and I'm happy to declare that the excess body roll is now a thing of the past.

Flushed with success I proceeded to dismantle the setup, then gave everything the once over with the wire wheel of death followed by a light tickle with a flapper disc.

First coat of paint has been applied and I thought I'd post this update while I'm idling between coats.

Just remembered I've got to sort out some crush tubes for the hollow square body mounts, so best I crack into that.

20230825_114155.jpg

20230825_114201.jpg

20230825_120844.jpg

• Like 8