Catch cans & baffles etc

chris r

I'm going to make my own catch can and have done some reading. This seems a good summary of what I've found. 

https://www.enginebasics.com/Engine Basics Root Folder/Catch_Can.html

I've got two -10 from the rocker cover ad one will go to the block. I was thinking about using the factory pcv to suck the vapours out but I'm thinking it may not be enough flow with the turbo etc. Or do I just run some line to the turbo inlet and call it done 

Has anyone got tips on baffles and what to use for filter media. I'm thinking about steel wool or a scotch pad but I'm not convinced it's a great idea. 

I got the - 10 and it was a happy coincide that are the right size to fit and work with the stock baffle in the rocker cover. 

Will I be better off going for a - 12 for the block fitting? I'll he machining a adapor for the block and thought about drilling the hole at a angle so the oil draining from the head doesn't fill the vent piping. 

Re draining the tank into the sump the general consensus I found they say no as there will be moisture etc in it

I used fuel cell foam as the media inside my catch can. Just cut a piece to the right size and gave it a thorough clean before installing. Have had the catch can apart a couple of times and the foam is holding up nicely.

Also have some of this inside the valve cover in the baffles - when looking into breather setups I found this is part of what RB guys (think Mines, HiOctane Racing Australia etc) were doing so figured if its good enough for 500+hp RB's it's good enough for a little 4AGE.

• Like 1

I run a catch can in my car, because I thought I had to for racing rules. 

But it's bone dry 100% of the time, I think because this particular engine has a 3 pass baffle in the rocker cover.
As in, the fumes have to go from one end of cover to the other, then back, then back again before getting to the vents. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roman said:

I run a catch can in my car, because I thought I had to for racing rules. 

But it's bone dry 100% of the time, I think because this particular engine has a 3 pass baffle in the rocker cover.
As in, the fumes have to go from one end of cover to the other, then back, then back again before getting to the vents. 

Mine isn't that flash, The closest i have is a oil separator on the block that doesn't really separate the oil

• Like 1

On Tuesday, March 07, 2017 at 21:16, kpr said:

run biggest vents /lines you can.   less velocity in the pipes will drag out less oil, to start with

I got a weird response from the local Enzed dude when looking for -12 stuff to do breather setup. Was confused why I would want to go so big and that -6 is more than enough even for a v8