1998 Caldina 3SFE - Died and now won't start.

spiderwebfx

Flatmates car broke down yesterday.  She was coming down a hill, engine light come on, and then when the car came to a stop at a roundabout, died.
Was probably two minutes between starting it and it dying.

1998 Toyota Caldina ST215G | 3SFE | Auto

Appears the motor has no spark but I cannot pinpoint why.  Is it possible that the two coils have gone faulty at the same time? Is there a fail safe where it won't start if one is faulty?

Pretty sure leads and plugs are on the way out, but I wouldn't of thought that this would stop it from starting it all.  'Start ya bastard' does not help it to fire.

Faults pulled from bridging OBD2 plug terminals: 21 (O2 Sensor), 24 (Air temp sensor).  Air temp only showed up since battery was disconnected, was not there straight after it stopped.
(These descriptions may be wrong, I could only find fault codes for OBD1 plugs. If so, let me know what they actually are)

Some multi meter tests I've done to get to where I'm at now:

Cylinders
1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Injector Resistances (ohm)
14.6 | 15.5 | 14.5 | 18.4

Lead Resistances (ohm)
4.2 | 3.3 | 3.1 | 2.21

Compression Test
210 | 220 | 210 | 220

Is there a way to test if the coils are fried?

Sorry it's not oldschool. I'm struggling to find any help through Google and am not registered on any Toyota forums.

10 minutes ago, chris r said:

have you got a test light? if so test for injection pulse. If you have injection pulse but no spark it could be ignition related. if you dont have both you could have cam/crank sensor faults

Cheers, will test that now. Is it as simple as unplugging injector and connecting the test light to a pin on the plug? Or is it better to do it while the injector is still plugged in?

Unplug them, Connect the test-light wire to ground and probe the pins. One (or both) should have power. If you have power connect the test light wire to power and hold it in one pin while cranking the motor. swap to the other if you have no flashes the first time. One side will be ignition and the other should go back to the ecu 

If you unplug them and test the two fat wires, generally brown or black should be earth or ground and by elimination the other should be ignition power.

My guess would be the two this wires (red/blue & white/red) will be your igniter wires and the last one might be a tach signal?

Unless you have a led test light it may not be a good idea to probe them unplugged.

If the two fat wires are power and earth you could rey rangi some cables onto them and then probe the other pin and check for spark that way. most of the time there will be a earth signal to trigger the igniter/coil

13 hours ago, chris r said:

If the two fat wires are power and earth you could rey rangi some cables onto them and then probe the other pin and check for spark that way. most of the time there will be a earth signal to trigger the igniter/coil

This bit has confused me slightly.  Could I not just turn ignition and see if a signal goes through the potential 3rd wire? Do they have to be bridged?  Sorry not 100% confidential  on electrical bits.

I have just gone and got a led test light to be able to check  it. Was planning to get one anyway. 

Ahh sweet that's easy enough. 

So if I get a signal/pulse from it, in theory the coils,  all leads and/or all plugs are buggered. 

If it doesn't,  it's most likely ecu or there's been a break in some wiring. 

I have already found some coils at a local wrecker so if it's those I'll pick them up tomorrow.