Question about brake cylinders

Scrubb

I'm facing a bit of confusion with my brake cylinders, so I hope someone can help me here.

I ordered 2x brake cylinders for the rear of my lancer from Supercheap. They had 2 part numbers, one for the left and one for the right.

My car has on the right side one brake line which goes into the wheel cylinder with a bleed nipple and on the left side there are two brake lines which go in to that cylinder.

The confusion arose when I went about replacing these and I started with the right hand side and I didn't even look at the part numbers in the box because the cylinder i pulled out had one brake line connection and one bleed nipple as I suspected, so I get that all put back together and I moved over to the other side, took the old one off and went to attach the new one and this one also has only one brake line fitting and a bleed nipple. I thought maybe I need to remove the bleed nipple so I did that, but the hole where the bleed nipple screws in is very different from where the brake line connects. The brake line goes in about a centimeter or so and then there's a valve or something in there, but the other hole where the bleed nipple connects is just a very deep hole, like an inch or so.

I took the wheel cylinder back to Supercheap and asked them if they could find one with 2 brake line fittings and I was told "You have them the wrong way around, the one already on the car (right side) needs to go on the left, and this one needs the bleed nipple removed and installed on the right".

Although I know nothing about these things, it didn't sound right to me so I went to Mitsubishi with the OEM part numbers and they advised BNT have direct aftermarket replacement, but before I do that, is Supercheap correct? Can I remove the bleed nipple and carry on, or do I need to get the cylinder designed to have two brake lines connected?

This is what the old one looks like:

S7IWg8J.jpg

Yup, that cylinder is the old one and I expected to find one the same in the packet but what I got was one with one hole identical to that picture and the other hole had a bleed nipple.

So, I was told I can remove the bleed nipple and attach the brake line instead but that doesn't sound like correct advice to me?

• Like 1

Okay, so I think I got the correct ones this time. Went to BNT and they were able to use the Mitsubishi part numbers to cross reference some aftermarket ones and I ended up with two which look the same as what's on the car and they also have the same bore sizes. Sounds like a win.

Will take the other ones I got back to Supercheap.

Thanks for the advice, all!

• Like 1