Oil pump replacement

NickTheFox

So I rebuilded the oil pump on my 1200 as it was leaking and looked like someone had used clear silicon to seal it up. I pulled it to bits and ended up using a spare pump internals that I had as they were in better shape. I tried to bench test the pump and it didn't work too well so I thought I might not have been spinning it fast enough for it to work.

I have it on the car now and have tried turning it over with coil lead off but haven't really seen any proof of it pumping correctly. Do oil pumps only start to pump once the motor is running or have I done something wrong? I understand that the pump has to suck oil up through the pickup tube so maybe just cranking an engine over does give it enough speed to be able to do this?

Any thoughts on this would be super helpful! I don't want to start up a motor with a dud pump

Squirt the pump full of mooreys or lucas. (Whichever your prefered parts place stocks) if you do it with the pump off and turn the shaft by hand you'll feel How much harder it Is to turn. Then itl suck harder than your mum.

With the pump back on the motor, if you prefill the oil filter to almost the top yoye motor will see oil pressure faster as there will be less wait to fill the filter.