C52 and C50 gearbox compatibility

ExtremeBean

Hey so i'm rebuilding my aw11 gearbox at the moment. Bought a spare for $50 but it's a c52. So i have a couple questions - will the parts from the c52 fit in the c50? Is the only difference external? (Excluding the 5th gear fix)

What would be the ideal combination of gears if the 2 are compatible? (E.g 1st from this, 4th from that etc)

My c50 has a chewed pinion gear so my main question is - will the output shaft from the c52 fit in the c50?

If someone could shed some light that'd be rad

ToyoDIY parts look up would indicate all the A engined C50's and C52's from 83 to 89 including the FWD ones use the same output shaft so I think you're safe.

Ratio swaps within the gearbox are straight forward just make sure you use both half's of the gear set from one gearbox. ie if you want second from the C52 in the C50 use both 2nd gear gears from the C52, input and output.

Same goes for the Crown-wheel and Pinion, use both from one gearbox don't change the pinion buy it's self, IT WILL JUST BLOW AGAIN.

Dam that sounds confusing but it's not.

If you could see the amount of gearbox parts i have floating around my garage you would know it's not as straight forward as swapping the linkages for me hahah.

But yep thanks for the advice, think i'm gonna keep my lsd but swap the crown wheel over from the c52 and use the rest of the c52 internals.

Was worth cracking them both open anyway because the c52 was very unloved and needed a couple bearings replaced. Should have at least one good condition gearbox out of this!

• Like 1

C52's are a reasonably strong gearset so I'd just slam the whole lot into the AW casings and go.  The LSD's all swap over no problem.  Personally I'd got for a C56 gearset which has shorter ratios but it depends what you want to use the car for - the extra revs at 100kmh may annoy you.  The C56 is slightly better (newer) in design and also much easier to get 5th gear off when pulling the box down as its got threaded holes to wind bolts into so you don't need a puller.

If you need C52 parts I have heaps including several gearsets