Mig help

flyingbrick

Today I went from .8 wire to .6 and it is not playing ball. The little nozzle tip is a .8 item and I'd like to know if that .2 of oversizeness is the reason for my problems. It seems very cold (not enough contact between tip and wire?)

I don't have any .6 tips right now so was hoping I could make it work, haha

Well being such a mig novice I had never thought to even replace the contact tip. It was pretty ugly so I guess it wasn't transferring current to the wire as effectively as it should.

Add in a smaller wire and it ran even colder than vefore. As contact with wire is even less.

I haven't tested it yet (will get some .6 tips tomorrow) but it should be good.

Was raging at the machine earlier though. Had power set to MAX and it was still weak as.

If your running a old mig not new there is some maintenance to do that no shit does wonders. First your mig has a liner for the wire to feed thru and as that wire has a copper coating on it to help prevent the steel core oxidizing that copper oxidizes too leaving shit right up the the liner, over time it clogs things up and your feed may become a bit jerky its easy enough to clean out pull your wire back onto the reel. And give it death with an air gun down the guts of the liner wind the lead up into tight coils and straighten it out blow it again that'll free the gunk up. Once your happy it's clear feed a tampon (shit you not it works) onto the wire before the rollers of the wire feed it'll help knock the oxide off the wire. I learned this shit off a crazy old engineer who lived in a camaro and ate ice cream for breakfast. He knew his shit.

• Like 1