SEEN88's Flying Lunchbox

SEEN88

• 1 month later...

Haven't had much luck with this car! I was on the way home from a Funeral in Putaruru yesterday and the wastegate pipe of my exhaust manifold cracked through and blew off on the Turangi side of the desert road. Somehow I managed to make it 180km without being pulled up by a cop, despite the car being horrendously loud as the exhaust manifold had a hole in it before the turbo! This also meant that I had next to no power, too. Foot to the floor in third going up hills and losing speed is amusing.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I went to Wellington (before manifold went bang)

Vqi7qYjl.jpg

Got a friend to weld up the manifold, car seems to run a bit better without exhaust leaking everywhere (compared to before the manifold went bang)

I cleaned the car (yay!) and broke the grill (sadface)

I6ocoRxl.jpg

I took some photos with a veteran member of OS (the car, not the owner :P)

VQBUALml.jpg

I managed to find another throttle position sensor and now the car is running much better! No hunting at idle, and no spluttering under light throttle, but idle still fluctuates. Next step will be remove and clean the throttle body, hopefully that sorts that out. If not, I don't know what to try next!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Little bit of progress recently. Purchased an Arduino Mega 2560 so I can start building a Speeduino ECU to eventually run in this. Looking forward to the experience and the learning that will come along with it!

It should arrive tomorrow, when it does I will be able to upload the Speeduino software to the board and have a little play (obviously without any actual inputs or outputs).

For those interested in the ECU, you can find information here.

• Like 6

interested in how that ecu comes out compared with megasquirt which is pretty similar. is there much of a support base for the arduino based unit? 

The Speeduino forums are VERY active. I have already posted in there and have received a little bit of help. The arduino has arrived, I have uploaded the code to it and connected it to TunerStudio and had a nosy. It looks pretty straightforward and there is so much you can do, especially with the cost of the arduino itself!

• Like 1

Also very keen to see how the Speeduino works out. Looks like a great, cheap alternative to a Megasquirt for basic applications.

Out of curiosity, where did you purchase the Arduino from?

These things are awesome. Guy here at work has a stripped out modified one that he uses as a track car. Love the 3 banger sound.

Man that speeduino thing is neat. I didn't understand the idea until I saw the prices- pretty bloody good value! I guess it's filling the position MS used to have

The Arduino clone and bluetooth chip (so I can monitor temps etc with phone) cost me $30 shipped from Trade Me. Now it's just cost of components, cost of the board, solder etc, and time. Oh and I plan to design a case for it and get it 3D printed by someone local with a 3D printer, too. Ideally it should be around the $200 mark finished. Will probably be more, but at least I can trickle the money into it instead of having to throw $1000 at a Link ECU.

Also very keen to see how the Speeduino works out. Looks like a great, cheap alternative to a Megasquirt for basic applications.

Out of curiosity, where did you purchase the Arduino from?

These things are awesome. Guy here at work has a stripped out modified one that he uses as a track car. Love the 3 banger sound.

Wouldn't be the GTxx from Lower Hutt-ish area with ~250HP would it? I would really love to get in contact with him!

I bought my Arduino and Bluetooth chip from these guys

Dont remember if he is from the Hutt, but yeah his is about 250hp.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCExI8FJeQciEkT-QmF5lENw

I follow his YouTube channel religiously. A couple of the GTti OC club guys have tried to get him to join Facebook and the club page. Could you chuck him my email address as I'd really like to meet him next time he's at Manfeild. I'll PM ya!