A question re air intake hoses

Swampo

Hey guys, first time for me doing anything to my engine earlier this week, just wanted to clean my air filter and get some cheap small hp gains and also some experience..

Was just wondering if the hose is only on the top half of the air box but I couldn't get it on the bottom of the air box connector, is that necessarily a bad thing? 

It's half on, with the bottom of the hose pushed upwards partially blocking the air box connector. All the connections have been tightened though. So it's sweet on the engine side, tight on the air box side but half-connected.

I also used engine oil lol to loosen it up because I don't have any other lubricant, pretty sure that using engine oil can damage the rubber I think?

But anyway, I went in thinking it would be easy, that the rubber would be gentle and easy to work with but it was anything but. 

New hoses could be a possibility, however I don't have the moolah for a new air intake kit right now. 

If you haven't got the hose connected properly, the air will take the path of least resistance which means the hole where you've not got the hose mounted correctly. This means unfiltered air, detritus, water and other crap could enter your engine.

• Like 2

Sorry guys, here's pics of my SW20 MR2's air intake (3SGE)

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/jlmather/media/THE%202/IMG_08351_zpsl0pt6qkr.jpg.html?o=7

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/jlmather/media/THE%202/IMG_08341_zpsbktegjij.jpg.html?o=9

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/jlmather/media/THE%202/IMG_08331_zpsenumkczn.jpg.html?o=10

The part where it connects with the air box was the bit where I was having trouble. It was near impossible to move the air box away from the hose then to push the hose backwards in the engine's direction so to slip it back on again. Also, the hose can't be moved round willy nilly as it has a connection to something else which I didn't remove, and a thin vacuum(?) hose from the oil distributor(?) restricts the hose's movement.

I got around this by using two jugfuls of boiling water on the hose - though I'd probably use a heatgun if I had one, which got it pretty supple (cheers Dave for the hint). Then fixed top of air box to hose, then attached other end of hose to engine and tightened up all fittings and put sensor thing back in. My air box goes on top of the filter (which sits on bottom half of box) as air is sucked up through the left side vents. I could only secure it down on 2/4 of clamps though so will have to monitor that it isn't flying up or wonky. May have to drill a small hole to fit cable tie in place of clamp maybe which are buggered.

I really thought about the unfiltered crap flying in to my engine as I drove round with the hose not properly attached. I really want my engine to last as it is my daily driver and the main reason why I cleaned the filter is because I want to try regaining some lost hp on the cheap lol. Also because the hose blocking half of the intake similar to how a butterfly valve would look it'd restrict air flow somewhat. 

FYI if any other SW20 owners are reading you have to remove the small panel above the box which has two screws and a ground cable there. Remove carefully otherwise you'll scratch your glass.

Sounds like a case of perishing/hardening rubbers etc and/or order of connection.

Good on you for giving it a crack.

Share where you are and perhaps someone will swing by for a beer and help you out :-)

I will if you're nearby me, or if you want to visit hunua.

Long story short, all pipes and hoses need to go to their correct spots and be done up correctly.

• Like 1

Yeah that 24 year old rubber is buggered. 

One day I will upgrade to a K&N High flow filter or whatever.. money is an issue though but that will be rectified

Cheers mate I sit my restricted in a couple of weeks, wouldn't mind cruising down to Hunua after that, heard there's plenty of twisties :)

I'm always keen to give people a hand and receive help/advice, and attend more events in the future.

• Like 1

Lots of fun roads a little further out, say Hunua to Kaiaua then back through Clevedon.
Though some corners can be a bit of a surprise, same with the road surface.
I've seen a few people on their lids! haha.

Good luck on your restricted!!!!