4g92 - Custom ECU Few Q's

bonkas

Hi Guys,

I am finally making a start in putting my 4g92 in my EX but have come up with a few questions I cannot answer myself and Google-Fu is failing me.

I am wanting to remove the CAS from the back of the head to make room between engine and firewall - This has led me to a custom ECU for this task (Not sure which way to go here yet). I beleive the CAS provides a Crank and Cam signal for the ECU.

Will I get away with buying a trigger wheel and running this off the crank? Is this all I need, Do I require a TPS also? or is this dependant on the ECU/setup I choose?

Any thoughts on this regard will be greatful and in laymans terms :)

What model 4G92 is it? The later 4G92 had separate cam/crank sensors with trigger wheels behind the cam and crank shaft sprockets. You could always just fit them (assuming the newer stuff bolts to the older engine) and re-wire the plug. 

If you just run a crank wheel then you will only be able to run wasted spark, and batch fire injection; neither of which is a bad, just not optimised for economy. If you want a tps you can use it for accel. enrichment and over run fuel cut etc but it isn't mandatory on a map sensored injection system.

Basically depending on how techy you want to go with it will depend on what the ecu will need to see, but all ecus should be able to deal with simple injection setups.

• Like 1

factory is wasted spark batched injection anyway.

Really? no sequential injection?

Just cut a box in the firewall to take the CAS and move on. the early evo / galant CAS will work sweet as on an evo 4 + head and contain all the trigger wheel action you need , not sure if they slot in to a 92 though.

• Like 1

What model 4G92 is it? The later 4G92 had separate cam/crank sensors with trigger wheels behind the cam and crank shaft sprockets. You could always just fit them (assuming the newer stuff bolts to the older engine) and re-wire the plug. 

Any telltale signs of which gen it is?

It believe it's from a 94-96 mirage.

Any vehicles to look out for the later crank and cam sensors? anything 98+ I suppose like the lancer wagons, mirages, RVR?

How much room do you have?

Could you "massage" the firewall?

For all the effort for a new ecu etc, it'd be much less hassle to fuck with the firewall ;)

Engine compartment and floor modifications

2.2(13)

Any part of a firewall, floor, gearbox tunnel, or other structural section of a low volume vehicle that has been cut or removed to provide room for engine conversion clearance, must be adequately re-strengthened.

Perhaps draw up what you'd need to do to the firewall (remember to check where your heater is!) and post it up in "Questions regarding Certs" and see how it goes down ;)

From most conversations I've had people have treated the firewall as some holy site not to be fucked with....but people are stupid..... it's a bit of steel which stops fumes and flames, a recess in it will do the same :P

Or maybe I'm stupid. Good possibility. 

Few reasons why I dont want to touch the firewall..

Im one of those OCD people where missing paint, welds, primer etc will bug me. The cost to modify the firewall and repaint is not really worth it unless I was doing the whole car, then I would strip the engine bay and do it all at once.

The ECU I have may have been from an auto.. Im not sure if it has any automatic wizardry which might make it unusable for my purpose.

Also the ECU was left out in the rain for a few days as engine/components were dropped on the doorstep in the pouring rain left for me to deal with days later so not sure if this is in a working state and no way to test.

If I got custom ECU now and get this engine running by only sourcing 1-2 sensors that would make me happy. Will also give me the option to run any engine in the future or even turbo.

Hope I dont sound to silly and cought up in myself with the above... Let me know what you guys think.

^^ not always..I run 2 of my cars on laptop tunable factory ECU's both of which shit over aftermarket unless you are dropping 10k+ and plan on running some serious suspension data logging.

Both run decent boost, plus bigger injectors etc..

I even considered running a factory evo ecu in my turbo mx5 until I remembered how much I hate wiring.

• Like 3

So long as a factory ecu is considered a "custom" ecu as soon as you plug a laptop into the OBII port and start changing some parameters then yeah I guess?

Sounds like a tuned factory ECU to me but meh Potato /Potatoe

Back to the original question as per rookies reply at the top you can get away with pretty simple trigger options off the crank if you are happy to run batch fire and waste spark.

Okay SO I have two options:

1. Find later model Cam and Crank sensors and adapt these to fit.

2. Buy/Find a trigger wheel to attach to the crank.

For this ssetup of basic engine management, no boost or anythingspecial.. which is the best ECU to go with? Stick with whatever the tuner uses? I take it this isnt for the feint hearted and cannot tackle this myself?

We all have various opinions on which ECU is "best".

I've said before a Link Atom is great value for anything 4 cylinder turbo or N/A.

Look at $1100 - 1300 incl loom, you'll need a wideband + controller and a few relays & wire.

I've got one, it was pretty easy and you can tune it yourself on the road fairly well, when I get a turbo I'll be putting it on a dyno though. (esp for spark).

And you're buying NZ technology which is good, support NZ businesses!

Or you can go MegaSquirt if budget is an issue, but you'll only save about $400-500 for your application if you buy it mostly assembled.

I'd do the latest MS if I had 6 cylinders or more and still had the same amount of capital available as you can save $$$.

Where in the NZ are you?
Want to come and have a look at my dirty old ute? You can see where everything goes and I can run you through what I did which will be what you'll do go trigger wheel.

Bangbug that sounds like just what I need.. If an Atom will do the job.. you sound pretty familiar with it and the way I want to go.

I really want to keep the engine as stock as I can so I just need to worry about bolting it in.

I am in the Waikato (Cambridge), I see you are in auckland.. I am hardly every over that way but if you are over this way any time soon a look at your ute would probably answer alot of my questions.

I was going to point you to my b2200 thread but I see the links are broken :(

Since the last time I was in Cambridge was to do signage for the velodrome!
Though I have a cousin I should visit who lives there..... I think......

I'm in Hunua if that helps, you don't even have to go near the motorway!  :P

But half the photos are gone, that'll teach me for linking from FB photos! (they move to archives I guess as time goes on)
So I'll update the links for you to look at in the meanwhile, hopefully that'll help.

Still waiting on editing ability :(

Head over to mjrstar's place, look at wiring but your REAL mission will be to look at his falcon fan buttons and let me know if they look good or not. I think he's too nice to tell me if they're up to scratch or not ;) I think they looked rad individually but....
Speaking of thread jacks, did the other little bit turn up mjrstar?

and since you have a 4g63t are you running it off the cas? Do you have a trigger wheel on anything he can look at?

He is mine, I think I machined in a lip for a spacer then heated/shrank the trigger wheel over the protrusion out the face of the pulley. It was a trigger wheel I was given, apparently from a ford of some description. You can buy cut ones or have a custom one cut for you, if someone on here had a laser cutter they'd be EVERYONE's friend and have the best stocked fridge ever ;)

2014-03-08%2012.49.21.jpg

I thought I could perhaps mount it on the back to begin with..... but not enough room and too close to my dodgy belts ;)
2012-07-23111603.jpg
  • Like 1

^^ the buttons are in thanks for that, they are a glossy compared to the other buttons which are flat black but the illumination does work through the decal you which is pretty sweet. 

I'm running a CAS, trigger eheel is too oldschool for me.. (or is that not oldschool enough)

/Spam

• Like 1