Fuel injectors and fuel tuning

J-W-G

I'm looking at getting some injectors from a 4g93t gsr, they are rated at 390cc. Bearing in mind this is for a 2.0l FE3 N/A so could be high considering a 3sge is running 290cc. Would I be able to tune these using a fuel table and other ECU trickery? (Link G4+ Atom is what I'm looking at)

Yep easy.

It's idling at 12:1....to be fair that is not that flash if you need to tune it that rich to maintain a stable idle, fortunately 2000cc is WAY more than what OP is looking at and he shouldn't have any issues :)

I just adjusted my idle to 12:1ish as well, it was hunting like a mad thing before that. It's a nice idle now. I've only cracked the TB open a little for my idle which is not ideal.
It's because I haven't set up any idle control and especially as I haven't set up my IACV! lol.
Good chance they're doing something similar.

That is sortof what I am getting at - usually idling at 12:1 means it's hard to get a stable idle any leaner, which can be the result of a "mechanical issue" but also if the fuel delivery is inconsistent due to not as accurate control at low pulsewidths, which is hard not to think is the likely thing going on with a stock standard NA Honda.  Idling at 12:1 is pretty high in the hack-o-meter scale for dodgy tuning work arounds and I'd not want to leave it like that.   

I guess worth noting is that stoich on E85 is ~9.7:1, ID2000s are common as anything on 4cylinders and 6cylinders in the US etc but they'll be running the 2000s because they are on E85 and would actually need higher pulsewidths than the Honda in that clip to maintain a nice stoich idle - hence there being less likelyhood of hearing about any issues if there are potential issues with drivability on smaller volume cylinder engines running petrol.

• Like 1

That's kindof what I meant by "mechanical issue" :)   Not necessarily technically something wrong, but nonetheless something that provides a challenge which can ultimately result in needing to make a bit of a compromise in order to make it idle/drive nicely.  Doing things like giving the motor some more airflow by way of IACV or cracking the throttle can help of course, but at the end of the day at low engine speeds (particularly with a "worked" motor) there is often just not enough fuel mixed with the air in the cylinder to catch and burn quick enough for a clean combustion process if you try targetting stoich.  

Another reason I mentioned "issue" is it can be a hint of a problem, if the ratio of air/fuel ending up in each cylinder isn't even you can end up with rich mixtures in some cylinders and lean ones in others but a "sensible" reading from the O2 sensor - working out whether this be because of uneven injector flow, poor manifold design, a lean between the plenum and the port or some kind of valve opening issue or some other thing can be fun sometimes.

What people often do is just add more fuel until the idle becomes more steady, which CAN result in an idle around 12:1 (if not richer!) but not necessarily what I'd call an acceptable solution - so far any case I've seen an idle that rich I've figured that something needs to be resolved or better chosen.  If it's a cam timing or huge injector / small pulse width thing causing the challenge then a judgement call on whether it's better to tune rich or just let a bit more fuel mixture in by cranking the idle speed up or just letting more air in and softening the timing a bit to keep the idle on target can be done - sometimes just a little more rpm (/ airflow) can do it :)

Again, OP *shouldn't* have that issue with such small injectors.

• Like 2

IDs are meant to be pretty good at low PWs, so some cheaper injectors may not be so flash. But as lith says, 390cc is fine

I also lold at the 12:1 afr, but fuck it, it works. (point I was actually trying to make) If you had injectors that big chances are you wouldn't run it on gasoline anyway tbh, so would probably idle fine on e85 etc

• Like 1