304 in to a wb

nickrock

Any one here put a 304 in to a wb

I believe I need a early hq style sump and oil pick up

Can I use the factory manifolds and front pipes

Will I need to cut the floor pan to get the auto to fit

Is there much rear cross member modification needed

You will need to swap the current Commodore sump and oil pick up on the 304 for an HQ-WB V8 sump (253 or 308, they are both the same). Assuming that you're going to EFI, a fuel system upgrade will be required. The factory 304 manifolds will not fit so you will need 304 into HQ-WB aftermarket manifolds. The rest of the exhaust can be built however you want. Transmission crossmembers are available brand new for a 304/TH700 into an HQ-WB from CRS (Castlemaine Rod Shop) so you will need to either buy one or modify yours as the factory WB one will not work in standard form. Floorpan will not need to be cut to physically slip the transmission in there. You might cut it later though for a floorchange as linking it to a factory column Auto is a bit fiddly. 

All of that is easy, the biggest job is the wiring which by modern car standards is also pretty easy.

Are you going to use the 304 driveshaft too? 304 driveshafts have a flat face to bolt to the differential yoke. The WB diff and all Holden diffs pre-Commodore have a twin U-bolt connection between the driveshaft and the differential yoke.

I was thinking of using the 304 end and get drive shaft made

Cross member from CRS is just under 200 but there is a article about CRS going in to liquidation

Reason I asked about floor pan mods I looked at one ( awhile ago ) and they had extensively modified the floor pan stiffening panel to get clearance

Re the exhaust headers etc would be well over 1k

I assume the hq wb v8 mounts are the same

The 304 block is basically the same externally as the 308 so anything that is 308 will fit the block.

The heads are different, therefore the manifolds are different.

I think I have a set of the HQ 308 mounts that bolt to the block - courtesy of Kamahl - you just need to buy the rubbers.

Sump should be relatively easy to find - just make sure you get the oil pickup too.

Note - spend the extra $100 and buy a rubber sump gasket (as opposed to $25 odd for the cork one) It should save yourself a whole lot of fucking around.

If you don't want to go 304 then sell me the heads. :wink:

I was thinking of using the 304 end and get drive shaft made

Cross member from CRS is just under 200 but there is a article about CRS going in to liquidation

Reason I asked about floor pan mods I looked at one ( awhile ago ) and they had extensively modified the floor pan stiffening panel to get clearance

Re the exhaust headers etc would be well over 1k

I assume the hq wb v8 mounts are the same

Grab the engine mount plates from KK. These bits:

IMG_3181-2.jpg

They will bolt to your 304 block then you just need to buy a pair of HQ-WB V8 engine mounts ($79.90 NZD for a pair from Kingswood Country via Trademe). Then your engine will be bolted in.

I would modify the existing crossmember to suit the TH700. Buy a TH700 (VN-VS) transmission mount, bolt it up to the TH700 and modify the crossmember to suit.

Shouldn't need floorpan modifications at all for the transmission to fit.

If you are using a VN era 304 and TH700 then the cable kickdown is easy to run. Pacemaker 304 into HQ-WB headers already have the o2 sensor bug welded in so just screw it in and you're away. They can be had for $6-700 from time to time.

Run a VN six cylinder fuel tank too. It has a built in swirl pot and high pressure fuel pump. The V8 ones are more expensive for no gain as they're the same but hang a bit lower. Can get a V6 tank for about $50 from the wreckers, maybe less from Zebra Dude.

An HQ sump and pickup usually sells for around $100 depending on condition. As KK says, use the rubber sump gasket as the cork ones are made up of 4 pieces and are a pain in the ass.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

this to kumar  threeonthetree 

im puting 304 in my hx  just read the bit you put on here about the  vn tank how much modes to make it fit ? have you done one ?  also  hoes your brougham  coming  along seen pic's of it 2014 ?

The VN tank has been done a few times over in Australia and I was on hadn when one was installed here as well (not on my car).

There are two options: Either modify the HQ-HZ tank with a surge tank/swirl pot and return line plus an electric pump OR fit a fuel tank with all of that already in it (ie, a VN-VS tank).

The VN tank is cheap, has a built in surge tank and a decent fuel pump, with fittings designed for an EFI setup. They are also cheap but require a bit of mucking around to get fitted. The filler neck needs extending, modifications to allow the HQ-HZ strap type mounting to work and so on.

Modifying a standard HQ-HZ tank is more expensive but once completed it will be easier to install and retain that standard appearance.

The choice is yours but next time you're out and about and see a VN or VP, stick your head under the tail and take some measurements. You'll see what I mean.

Brougham is now sadly sold. Too many projects etc etc.