Brocky41's Super Trooper

brocky41

So i brought this last weekend - a 1988 Isuzu Trooper LS 4WD (wish that meant LS1 lol) its pretty tidy and will be good to use around on the property and for a bit of towing etc - seem like quite a cabable truck.

Is both LPG and petrol with a 2.3 4ZD1 engine thats very tired (370,000kms), so tired in fact the blowby is blowing the dipstick out at high revs. All the 4WD etc works including the auto front hubs, and it came with a mean sony stereo / cassette / CD stacker.

Even has WOF, Rego and LPG Wof all for a few months and two brand new front tyres.

Plans are to either rebuild the current engine and or find a replacement, (theres one at driveline imports with 39,000kms on it but want a butt tonne for it) and get a set of either A/T or M/T 31x10.50x15's

I didnt think it was worthy enough for a full thread so i put it here.

KAH5sz.jpg

fMaDJm.jpg

ljRoCy.jpg

cXQ8Sq.jpg

fCWYAH.jpg

H6XBia.jpg

6YsK5C.jpg

WJTdGO.jpg

wHtEyP.jpg

• Like 1

Heck yes. I can likely assist with part diagrams and/or parts if you're feeling like you need to go genuine.

Thanks Man, yea i found some-kinda workshop manual thingo online - feeling brave on doing my first full engine rebuild on this. As im at BNT i can source most parts - although at genuine level surely parts for these are at write down prices if there is anything left lol. Id be interested if you can find any NOS parts for it still - flick me a PM 

2.8 diesel turbo - wind up diesel pump and boost and go nuts

Being a nissan / datsun nutter - i do have a 2.8 diesel and J pipe turbo manifold - although its the LD28 not the Isuzu 4 cylinder lol

If anyone has a good 4zd1 one kicking around id be keen

• 2 months later...

So I managed to swap my 15 inch steels for some 15x7 '0' offset alloys with 265/75/15 (31x10.50x15) All Terrain half worns. Came off a UBS55 Bighorn.

Ill get around to repainting the centers and polishing the lips once i rebuild the motor. I think they look pretty good, will probably get 30x9.50x15's once ive worn these out as they are a little wide.

DSC_0331_zpsjkisvtb7.jpg

DSC_0334_zpsgn7l8tba.jpg

DSC_0335_zpswguweoag.jpg

DSC_0333_zpsegaljhhm.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So got the engine out

Everything was all nice and loose / clean just covered in oil from it leaking from everywhere.

Got the head off and all the extras stripped off the block. Couldnt for the life of me get the front crank bolt off so left that for the engine builder (broke a socket, then had two pipes on a strong bar - should have tried when it was attached to the gearbox.

When i dropped the bits to the engine builder we noticed the head had been off at some stage as there are various sanpaper marks where manifolds go and the headgasket is wrong ( a mm or so too small around the pots) so that wouldnt have been good - i checked at work and its possible it had a 4zc1 headgasket fitted. 88mm and 88.3 bores.

They are going to pressure test the head and strip the bottom end and let me know if its a hone or a rebore / oversize pistons this week. Also told me to bring in all the other dirty / oily bits to get acid bathed too for a clean rebuild lol

DSC_0041_zpsqcygv56l.jpg

DSC_0042_zpsysky1tql.jpg

DSC_0063_zpsupltinq2.jpg

• Like 3