Kempy's Wega rebuild

kempy

This machine was saved from a trip to the scrap metal merchant yard.

It's a 2 group Wega Orion that was sitting in the shed for while until I got time to completely strip it down and get the parts organised, but once everything was together it was completed in just under 4 weeks.

The rebuild itself was done couple of years ago so a few of the progress pictures are MIA, I thought I'd get pics up of at least one completed project if only to make myself feel better about finishing something.

Sadly, I didn't take a picture of the machine while it was complete in it's original condition so the first pic is off the net.

Rest assured, although it was the same colour it was a total mess with a lot of the original red paint scratched off and deep scratches in the stainless trays

It's a nice old girl, no electronics apart from the autofill controller.

gf0lecsk.q3k.jpg

First view is of the internals prior to deconstruction, loads of heavy pitting in the chassis

3fnrjk2n.laq.jpg

• Like 2

Boiler

Outside is caked with old coffee grinds and mouse droppings, this is after a hose off.

j11og1p3.kqp.jpg

Plenty of nice lime scale build up with years of use with water sitting stagnant under pressure.

Certainly nowhere near the worst that I've seen though.

5dds5x1w.aol.jpg

• Like 1

Here's the completed boiler.

Spent hours using an acid softener and finishing with a glass bead blaster.

New nylon seals were used but I kept the original boiler element as it looked like it had been replaced at some stage.

Luckily the boiler is one of those types that have a removable end so I could get the bead blaster inside, most have just inlets/outlet points with the largest hole being for the heater element.

z1rxxvc3.eoz.jpg

New shiny bits..blow off valve, water level probe and vacuum valve fitted

The vacuum valve is the little short silver one with a brass cir-clip closest to the bottom of the picture.

It's role is to let air back into the boiler when the machine is turned off, this avoids the boiler collapsing inwards under the vacuum caused by cooling.

dxbkeabp.xhk.jpg

• Like 7

Here she is, all done and ready to go.

I tried to match an original Wega colour which I think didn't turn out too bad.

Polished up all of the stainless which took a while as there were some fairly heavy marks.

The pressure gauge looks almost new from a good strip down and clean out, new switches on the front as the crummy old red ones didn't suit the new colour

s3ytcdpy.3ey.jpg

• Like 5