6n Polo intermittent starting problem

feathersword

I feel like a lot of the time when posting here it is for crappy modern cars... Perhaps that is because older cars are better and don't give me any issues!

Anyways, looking for a bit of advice with my 1995 Volkswagen Polo. I barely drive it, but my mum uses it most days to get to work. 19 out of 20 times, she gets in, turns key, starts fine. The other 1 time out of the 20, it won't start! Engine turns over, but then dies. Mum tries a few times, gets frustrated, and gets a ride to work with Dad. I get home later, and every time, get in the car, turn key, car starts and I laugh at her.

Basically what I'm wanting is suggestions of things I can do/check to try and eliminate the problem, pain in the ass as it's so intermittent, so any potential fix could take a few weeks before I will know if its actually cured the problem!!

Replace it.

Does it have some kind of factory/aftermarket immobilizer? Any flashing red lights anywhere when it starts then dies?

I am planning on selling it pretty soon, my 82 323 wagon is much more my cup of tea. Ideally want it working before I sell it though! No flashing lights or anything like that, don't believe it has any immobilisers.

Intermittent problems are a PITA.

Do you know anyone with a scan tool who can check for fault codes for you? Assuming that this has a OBD2 plug on it, you can get some pretty cheap code readers off trade me.

This may be what I need to do! Any idea where the OBD2 plug be, if it has one?