4K Starting problems

ajg193

I'm having a problemo with my 4K.

When it has been sitting for about a day without being run and I go and start it, it runs on 3 cylinders for a while. It has been getting worse recently. (Started like two weeks ago, and was doing it for over a minute today).

The problem is on cylinder number 4. It is getting a spark but seems to have absolutely no compression until it suddenly works? I swapped spark leads between 3 and 4 and it made no difference.

I replaced all the spark leads, distributor cap, manifold gasket.

I also noticed that the water level went from the full line to the low line in the reservoir during the weekend. The oil is perfectly clean.

I'm suspecting either a sticky exhaust/intake vale on number 4 or a head gasket issue.

Any other ideas?

I'll try taking the valve cover off tomorrow evening after uni and turning it over by hand to see if it is a sticky valve.

And if it is a sticky valve, how do I go about fixing it?

Oh fuck... Was just laying in bed and realised that I may have set the number 4 intake valve to exhaust valve clearance and vice versa....

Wait, nope.. Looks like I got it right, just got the image backwards in my head for a minute. Nevermind.

Went and pulled the valve cover today, quite a fair bit of milk covering the inside of the valve cover. That stuff wasn't there the other day.

All the valves seem to be working fine and clearances are right.

Head gasket issue starting?

Pulled the head this morning. Crack at number 4 on the gasket. Water was getting between the block and the gasket. The ring was also cracked on number 3. Looks like some water was getting pumped through the oil gallery straight into the head. Complete failure would not have been far off.

Getting head skimmed this afternoon. Hopefully all back together by dinner time tomorrow.

Engine is all back together and running now. It has never run so well in my memory.

Changed oil and filter after letting it run for about 5 minutes. Gonna get radiator flushed as soon as possible.

Will probably have to do the water pump at some point for good measure.

10636891_10152803529092049_5792571833111

Not a bad amount of corrosion for 31 years.

• Like 1