4g36 gearbox info

TylerR

Ive just brought a 1977 mitzi lancer, it has a 4g36 engine (1200cc) and 4 speed gearbox, im wanting to put a 5 speed gearbox in it but im unsure what gearboxes will fit, been told l200 and sigma gearboxes will fit but im unsure so wanting help from someone who has done something like this in the past and general advice, cheers

The gearbox you need is the KM119 found in 4G32 fitted cars (EX Lancer, Sigma etc) A gearbox from a 4G63 L200 or Sigma will fit physically but you will have troubles with finding a clutch plate. The KM132 (4G63 L200, Sigma box) has a different spline count and uses a larger diameter clutch plate.

You can get a custom plate made of course but if you find a KM119 box I think you will be able to use your existing clutch (Not 100% on that).

Heres a lot of info on the KM132 box (as well as others)

http://www.lilevo.com/mirage/Manuals/RWD%20Manual%20Transmission%20R4M21-R5M21-V5M21%20PWEE8914-ABCDEFGHI%2022A.pdf

Also have a read of this

http://www.hoonboy.com/?page_id=208

Pretty much all what Damian said.

Pretty much want to find the 5speed from a 1600cc EX or Sigma, otherwise the 5 speed from the 2000cc sigmas is the next best option, but yeah, have to piss around with the clutch.

If you HAVE to go with the l200 box make sure you get the drive shaft yoke as well as they are larger.

One other note is the shifter position. With the sigma boxes its further back. You can mod your centre console which looks ugly or you can change the shifter guts over in the extension housing.

I kinda did a write up many moons ago

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/22036-bigfoots-4g63-1975-la-lancer/

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

TylerR, have you got around to doing this swap yet?

I have just swapped out my 4-speed (KM-110) on my 4G11 (1200cc) and am now running my 5-speed (KM-119) from my 4G32 and it's fine. I just had to also swap the clutch cable from the 4G32 as it is slightly shorter and without doing so the clutch wouldn't work very well.

Hope this helps.