Bigfoots 4g63 1975 LA lancer

Ogre

Project Discussion Click Here

Got this 75 LA lancer after my 81 EX Lancer got mashed up by an old lady.

Was in pretty good condition when i got her, but brake master cylinder was totally shot, rust all the way through the braking system.Front caliper was seized and exhaust was half gone.Replaced all this and Went for a WOF.Only thing it failed on was a tie rod, so promptly replaced that and got a WOF.

Stayed standard for a while (like a week) and i couldn't resist doing a few things.

List of Mods so far :

EXTERIOR

- Removed lower chrome trim and mudguards.

- Flared front guards.

- JDM style fender mirrors.

- JAF Badge.

- 14"x7" Rays Engineering Volks Racing rims GT Tyres

Suspension and Braking

- Fitted with EX GSR front struts and vented brakes.Struts have had the springs and spring seats replaced with smaller items to allow them to fit in the small strut towers of the LA.KDRL - 06 King Springs have been used as well as KONI strut inserts that have also been modified to fit in the GSR struts.The GSR struts have also allowed for more negative camber to be used.

- Rear has been fitted with 50mm lowering blocks and KYB Mono tube rear shocks.Planning on fitting harder rear springs as i have no oversteer on the track, understeer hard.

- GSR brake master cylinder has been fitted to facilitate the larger GSR calipers.

- Discs and hubs balanced and machined true, some bendix pads that dont really work till warm, but have no fade no matter how hard ive pushed them on the track so far.

Engine and Drivetrain

- SOHC 4g63.

- 290 degree high lift CSL cam.

- Extracters.

- Rejetted 32/36 weber dgv Downdraft

- Full 2" exhaust with single Turbo muffler.

- Sigma 5sp KM132 gearbox with modified extention housing and shifter.

- Currently standard rear axle and open diff.Will look into something LSD, maybe Hilux or something.

Interior

- Racing steering wheel

- Few gauges, oil press, tacho and oil temp.

- Bozo style large gear knob and tartan rear seat throw.

Pictures

Lancer with just rims fitted :

dscf05311fi.jpg

Bozo Gearknob :

untitledmw3.png

After having the GSR front struts put in, and rear lowering :

p1010002mediumxm2.jpg

Lancer and CaMs Crown :

p10100010jk.jpg

p10100086cs.jpg

Lancer on toupo :

3963123051a4841395726l.jpg

3043926851a4841544901l.jpg

3963123051a4909360941l.jpg

Lastly a few vids :

Lumpy idle etc after i first put in engine :

Lancer on straight of toupo raceway :

• 2 years later...

Details of mods:

Right, i thought that i would do a decent write up on the mods ive done in detail since there are always so many people asking the same questions over and over about how to do a 4g63 conversion, front struts and brakes etc.Will try put as many pics as i can in here, both of my own and other people.

First will be the SOHC install since ive already done it, secondly it will be the DOHC as i am in the process at the moment.

Any questions PLEASE ask in the discussion thread.

Most of the process is the same for most RWD mitsis, LA/LB being the easiest, sigma/EX lancer being more or less the same as well.Only real variations being engine cross member and gearbox cross member, shifter positions.

Pretty obvious how to get the engine out so im not gonna cover this.

SOHC 4g63 Install

- Replacing 4g11/4g33 and 4sp gearbox with 4g63 sohc 5speed sigma/l200 hybrid gearbox.

Fitting engine and gearbox:

First off, if its a 1200 EX lancer you are planning to fit a SOHC or DOHC 4g63 into, you will need a 1600cc lancer/starion/sigma cross member as the 1200 EX (4g11) cross member is way out, all others work fine.

LA/LB/LC (4g33) lancers have the right engine cross member to start with.

You will need to fit the 4g63 engine mounts.The gearbox mount needs to be changed to a 5sp one.The difference is in the spacing of the bolts.The 5speeds are farther apart.You can weld and re-drill the holes on the 4speed mount if it comes down to it.

Sigma gearbox cross member in an EX (trigger)

enginein013-1.jpg

Apart from that it just bolts right up.You can use the standard throttle cable and clutch cable, drive shaft fits with no mods if theres no changes to engine mounts or position.Only slight change is the removal of the dust cap from the drive shaft on LA/LB lancers as the 5speed sigma boxes have it fitted to the gearbox.An angle grinder fixes this.

Adapting sigma shifter position using l200 parts:

In order to have the shifter mounted in the correct place the extension housing on the gearbox needs to be adapted.The sigma ex housing cant just be replaced with the l200 housing because the dia of the drive shaft yoke is different.You could use an entire l200 box but you would have to change to an l200 yoke on the drive shaft.Thats a real pain in the ass.

The way in which the sigma box can be adapted this is by fitting the internals from a l200 extension housing into that of the sigma housing.

Sounds complicated but it is rather straight forward.

Sigma housing is on the LEFT (smaller uni hole)

driving034.jpg

Sigma box with L200 extension housing

box009.jpg

In effect, this is all you are really changing.Notice how much longer the sigma (bottom) shifter mount is

box022.jpg

Lastly all you need to do is replace the cover plate with the l200 (top) plate

box020.jpg

Shifter should look something like this with the l200 shifter fitted.If the sigma shifter was left on it would be sitting back about 50mm

enginein003.jpg

• 1 month later...

Found some cam specs of the 4g63s 2day

Inhalation lift quantity (mm)

Inspiration angle (degrees)

Exhaust lift quantity (mm)

Exhaust action angle (degrees)

RVR SSG - 8.5 252 8.5 252

Evo 1 - 8.5 252 8.5 252

RVR HSG - 9.5 252 9.5 252

Evo 2/3 - 9.5 252 9.5 252

VR4 - 9.5 252 9.5 252

VR4 AMG - 10 260 9.5 264

Ok, well im gonna post up pics of this AMG engine while im rebuilding etc because it will be good for anyone who is looking at doing a DOHC conversion and also i am wanting to identify any differences between the AMG and normal N/A 4g63 and even 4g63T bits that it uses.Please, any info you wish to input do it in the discussion thread and ill put it into this thread from there.

Thanks

Sump turns out to just be normal.

Oil pump is just normal 4g63, has no oil cooler.

Pistons are normal high compression VZ-S/VX-S 4g63 (10.4:1)

Rods are normal VR4 type ones.

Titanium valve retainers from my AMG motor weigh 8.4g compared to 14.4g for the standard steel ones.I guess this is good for revs?

• 4 weeks later...

So, alittle update.Ripped engine apart and measured most things.Clearances etc.Everything checks out well within spec, bearings are all ok, just the normal sorta wear.Number 2 rod bearing was alittle more warn than the others but nothing major.

The bearings have the numbers A17X DOF F on the mains, A17X DOG on the rods, and A17X OG G on the thrust bearings.Anyone able to shed some light on these?Im figuring the A17X is what they are made of, the rest i have no clue.

Main and rod bearing clearances are all around 0.035 and 0.04mm, with the specs being between 0.02mm and 0.05mm from memory (correct me if im wrong).

Bores are ok, no scoring, still have cross hatches, pistons all mint as.I was told that engine have done around 160k, would appear thats about right.

Some pics.

Very average pic of bores.This would be the worst one and looks WAY worse in this pic than it really is.

DSC01635.jpg

This is the worst when it comes to any scratched or wearing on the crank.Once again, looks way worse in this pic

DSC01633.jpg

Bearings.Main bearings on top.

DSC01621.jpg

Pistons.Do these look the same as normal NA ones?They have a very small dome on the top and the numbers 63D M.I know the normal NA ones have 63D, but never seen any with the M before.

DSC01618.jpg

Rods.Do these look normal NA?

DSC01617.jpg

Balance shafts and bearings OUT.This fucker really didnt want to budge.

DSC01638.jpg

Stripped block

DSC01614.jpg

A few parts turned up in the mail curtasy of the bubblegoose fairy.

Will throw them on the sohc for the time being to see what it goes like.I will just make a steel intake mani myself, nothing to flash.

R1 40mm carbs and trumpets

DSC01640.jpg

Megajolt ignition

DSC01644.jpg

• 2 years later...

Time the beast moved on to brighter pastures.

Its been sitting not doing a hell of alot for the last 6 months since i moved to Rootarua. I figured its a waste to let it rot so Bigfoot has taken it.

Long live little green car, and have a great future full of skids, trackdays and modifications. i know thats what you would want...

Its now your turn Mr Bigfoot.

Headed down to Rotorua on Tuesday to pick up this machine and drove it to a mates place with no(very little) brakes

Wednesday, Bled up brakes and it turned out the reservoir was dry,

Took it in for a WOF and came away with a list:

secure front park lights(tied up with cable ties until I find a valance for it)

secure front brake hoses to struts(fixed- cable ties)

drivers sun visor missing( swapped passenger visor over)

gearbox mount broken (replaced with one i got given with the car)

right hand outer tie rod end worn(have part but didn't want to replace before return trip an kill wheel alignment)

leak in rear muffler

rust in rear(under back on inside)

after WOF failure we went for a drive out to tarawera lookout, car went awesome

Thursday: stopped in at AA to get them to sign off the repairs i had done for warrrent, cos i figured that if i got pulled up i could explain that i had just bought the car and attempted to get it a warrent

Made a few stops on the way home to Whangarei and holy s*&% i am impressed, took a few cellphone pictures and i will post them up in the next few days

Plans:

Finish the wof repairs from the list I got in Rotorua

Go for another wof up here

Find the source of the starting problems (winds then just free spins)

Slam and wheels( 13"x5" and 13"x7" SS Cragers)

Pull the heater and fan etc out of my other lancer

Find and fit center console/cheap head unit

Drive the shit out of it

Doaskid

Edit:pic from mates place in rotorua

photo0123uh.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have been busy the last few weeks,

Something hit the radiator and made it leak, now fitted with a sigma radiator from other lancer

Removed and looked at starter, 1-way clutch thing was stuffed, fitted l300 starter also from other lancer

Found a lb lancer at pick-a-part, so went to auckland and got these:

lb front valance, centre console, heater core/fan/ducting

newbits.th.jpg

also raided front suspension out of my other lancer to fit when I get time

strutsl.th.jpg

Test fitted one of the wheels I stole from my cousin, 13x7 SS Cragars

wheelsdx.th.jpg

has 205/?/r13 fitted and sits about 10mm outside guard so a 195 should clear

opinions on wheels???

I have a set (4) of 13x7 for the rear and a set of 13x5 for the front

Edit: discuss thread http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35391&p=894340&hilit=lancer#p894340

• 1 month later...

wow, page 7. Didn't think it had been that long since an update.

Got a WOF yesterday, only needed a number plate bulb after doing the repairs from the rotorua list

I discovered that the lb heater box i got from pick a part is different from the one that i need for this car, does anybody have a lb heater box assembly lying around? I have a few fans and heater cores now just no box to put them in

-Lowering blocks for rear arrive next week, apparently custom made from autolign

-front springs are Dobi lows for a series 1-3 rx7, will see how they sit when they settle

-Blows a little bit of oil from the rocker cover where the breather pipe comes off, need to sort a catch can

-All going well will have slam and wheels sorted for Leadfoot cruise in a couple of weeks

*****************insert picture here when laptop stops being gay******************

• 2 weeks later...

Took this down to the Auckland burgerfuel meet on wednesday, drove awesome apart from getting a bit warm in the traffic before the bridge heading home

Credit to thomas(powderjzx i think) for these pics

lancerbf2.jpg

lancerbf1.jpg

Also got the blocks and struts in so its semi slammed now

• 2 weeks later...

Pics of slam:

2610121614.th.jpg

Slam with the new wheels and a polish:

2710121714.jpg

I am thinking of powdercoating the wheels and getting some whitewalls

I still have the cragars, but due to delays in getting the wheel nuts for them, I saw lyndon(rbdrifter) and convinced him to sell me the sigma rims

They rub a little bit in the front on hard lock, but the speedo is almost right, no pore pulling huge revs to sit at 100km

EDIT:discuss //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33669-bigfoots-new-la-lancer/

• 1 year later...

Long time no update

Basically I have been driving this thing everywhere

I will try to update all the stuff I have done and add in some photos from my phone in no particular order

Drove it to nationals (2000km round trip) took it on Manfield and gave it death, it then became hard  to start in the morning and blew lots of oil into the catch can, I, eventually pulled it apart and found this (no.1 piston)

n0te.jpg[/img]

No.4 had done the same thing

Gave it a hone and some new rings, didn't bother with bearings because they still looked like new and slammed it back together along with a kit for the carb

Last month I took it to the Oldschool drag day, it had done about 1000km on the new rings, so I threw some new oil at the engine and the diff and gave it hell

16.55@132km/h was the best I could do with no traction and a dodgy 3rd gear, I plan to return to the strip with a few changes to try and crack a 15 with the sohc motor

I couldn't manage to link the video of my launch so here are some random pics

6fzy.jpg
my front lawn today

kyq2.jpg
random arty shot in my driveway not long after I got the blue whore

00v8.jpg
Hanging out with it's younger brother at the Rally of Whangarei
I was going to use this photo for the olds cool autos picture comp but ran out of time to photoshop the logo in(finished the next day)

Over my time of owning this beast, I have been aquiring some parts

j20p.jpg
spaghetti from Bubblegoose via Dave

57ia.jpg
AMG block from cam (as seen earlier in thread), and pick a part head
some assembly required

I gave myself a digital camera for xmas so no more cellphone pictures