twin stick landy, 32 forward 8 reverse selections

Jase

389y.jpg

little rover is getting a safari driveline with a difference,

more gears,

another 4 speed will be sitting infront of the other that has the transfer case attached,

remembering the trucks at the limeworks had super high crawl ratios but were a bit thought provoking to shift with two 4 spd boxes also, I wonder whether an overrun coupler between the boxes would alleviate some of those issues.

thoughts please truckers

its purpose in life will be to be a landy like no other chap,

will have 35's an the 12volt tipper I was saving for my ute.

so firewood collection, rock crawling, trailer towing and commuting to work.

not really to much of a fuck around actually far simpler to do than twin transfer cases.

its an idea i've had dormant since driving those trucks I suppose and driving the mt moka track in a landcruiser on my honeymoon with too taller crawl ratio highlighted it.

If you've ever been up there its just over towards Cromwell off the thompsons road track,

very rocky very steep and very off camber in a top heavy rental camper landcruiser.

1st in lowbox felt downright freakin horrible especially when it was cocking a leg up some of the steps and ledges.

So I'm getting old and I'd like to go slower ok?

Just be wary that the amount of torque you will be transmitting through the axles will be multiplied substansially over their design parameters if you have the transfer case in low low and then run Safari running gear through it (TD42?) and doing rockcrawling or similar.

yep understand that kk,

ld28t then mq boxes no overdriven ratios ie 4 speeds up to mq diffs.

axle strength and cv strength is fairly robust with these so only a true tough hookup of a tire would

see an axle break and sticking to lsds over lockers will give stored energy an out.

and over driven gears that tend to get a hard time,

big picture I'd like to keep my breakages limited so I will start with the truck running open diffs,

obviously crawling spots are a bit limited up here unless I go play in a quarry or river bed,

if it fails to perform i'll head to lsds and chromoly cv's.

how about running the overrun coupler between them?

back box will have no clutch and still be being driven along with input and gearset by the driveshaft whilst underway so an ability to free wheel when the shafts speeds are mismatched seems a good idea,

obviously reverse would need to be selected from the back box as the coupler would free spool if it was selected on the front one.

pretty sure the truck setup was a direct coupling but the gearsets and shafts and strength concerned was somewhat increased over these little bus boxes