18r engine conversion (from a 16r in a Corona)

michael14

i think the 18r will have different engine mounts and bolt pattern. however i have an 18r in an rt84 corona and im happy to take some measurements if you need any.

my car was orignally a 6r, but someone changed it, the engine mounts look normal so id say those 2 are swapable. 

The 18r doesnt bolt in place of. 6r? they mount off the front of the engine and 18r is conventional middle of the block. Different gearbox also. have no idea about 16r's if. W50 bolts up its probably the later block and a 18r will work.

interesting, must mean mines had the cross member changed too.

Dunno man, its very possible. I have a 18R and a RT40 with a 6R here that I'll be converting, the mounts on the 18R are maybe 150mm back from the factory position. You need to weld some tabs on the x-member to move the mounts back or use some rangi plates. The blocks productions crossed over each other just to confuse everyone so some Coronas/hiluxes whatever will have the 3 main block some the new 5 main block, so easily could have had a crossmember change to make it look factory.