Is the "S" wire on alternator supposed to be live?

Esky_addict

Hi all ill just aqcuired a surf with a 3.8 in it and it starts and idles fine but sputters and farts around when taking off.

I think that the alternators poked but dont have a multimeter only a test light and when i put it on the "S" terminal of the alternator there is no life. Should that be live?

The S is the voltage sense, it should be connected to the battery via a separate cable from the main power cable. It's purpose is to monitor the battery voltage so the alternator can compensate for voltage drop across the power cable.

So yeah it should be live, if it's not connected then the alternator may not put out as many volts as required. I've found they seem to still work sweet with it disconnected though, so slap a meter across the battery and give it a bit of rev and see what the voltage is. You should be seeing 14 odd V at the battery.

yeah had a quick squizz at the earths. Was supposed to say have no voltage on the s wire i had it plugged in. Will whip it off tomorrow and take it to get tested. The other kicker is that the factory volt meter reads around 14 volts and doesent drop away down when accessories are turned on.

S wire on Toyotas is Signal (or Sense).  It needs to be connected from the Alternator to the Battery (should be switched, fused via the main relay).

I have not so fond memories of trying to get an alternator on a 2TG trying to run with no S wire in place.

Voltage will be present on the battery side of the wire.  If you're measuring the voltage on S off the back of the Alt it will be zero volts from memory.

Wat...

That's not how electrickery works. Unless the wire has resistance in it and is grounded at the alternator lol

Maybe I explained it poorly - I'm not trying to redefine how physics work.  

But what I meant was if you measured the voltage on the S wire ( wrt. negative/earth/chassis with the wire disconnected off the alternator) off the back of the alternator it will be 0, if you measure the wire from the battery it will be +12 - i.e. it takes the reference voltage from the battery rather than pokes power back to the battery along the S wire.

(fucking two electrical engineers arguing over how electricity works, lol)

Edit:  I think you were making reference to the voltage drop along the wire, i.e. due to resistance in the wire and a complete circuit allowing current to flow.  That's not at all what I meant.

Let me join in too then?

Apply power to sense wire and see if it works better.

Off the top off my head (and I'll likely get it wrong) there is sense, lamp ignitiona nd battery.

Battery goes through fuseable link to battery (via the giant terminal on the back of the alternator)

Ignition goes via key switch to accessory so it's live when the car is running

Lamp (in most cases) MUST go through the dash light (which must obviously not be blown)

Sense goes to battery through another fuse or fusable link.

Fuse or fusable link must be physically close to the battery and battery and sense need their own wire, you can't just connect sense to the battery terminal on the back of the alternator.

Let me join in too then?

Apply power to sense wire and see if it works better.

That was the first thing I tryed as a mate had a VN in our younger days and the "S" wire had failed/Blown fuse somewhere back the loom.

Im thinking that there isn't enough power to keep the engine running which Is why im thinking alternator.

Just chucked a multimeter on and battery volts are 11.5 so have removed alternator to get checked out.