SU Carb Tuning

mailman

HIF44 may be too big and that the 1000cc motor may not be able to suck enough air to get it to perform properly at those higher rev numbers.

i think i had one of those carb's it has been a while so i am not sure of the numbers.  i got it to work but went smaller because high revs were fine but the low range was terrible? (not enough airflow?  i might be way off here)

EFI can be done, if you can set up your sequential injection to compensate for the siamesed ports, but it's not reaaaaly worth the effort unless you are into that kind of thing.

A too large carb will give you a poor low end as the air velocity is not fast enough to give you enough difference in the pressure to draw fuel out. 

Hmm, I see the potential in EFI with the tuneability. But I am not 100% convinced on the benefits vs cost/effort.

In saying that though, getting a HIF38 in from the UK is looking like it's going to be around the $500-600 mark after shipping and GST.

I've just been to see the mini guru here in Christchurch and he has given me a yellow (8oz I believe) spring, if I understand him right, this should be similar-ish in principle to having a smaller card as the piston will be open a smaller amount. I may have completely and utterly misunderstood/misquoted him there, but he definitely knew what he was talking about.

• Like 1

Ok, I've spent the afternoon mucking around with the mini. I tried the yellow spring that Larry gave me, that seemed to help initially but meant that it was running quite lean at cruise. I removed the carb and stripped it down to make sure that the everything was working as it should. It all appeared to be in good nick.

I am now debating whether I need to try a new needle with the new spring, or go back to the lighter spring.

Does anyone know, does the piston go up (and the needle stages effect the fuelling) with throttle position or engine speed? i.e. if I am trying to get extra fuel in to prevent the excessive lean conditions at 5000rpm and up, does that use the same part of the needle as going full throttle lower in the rev range?

It moves with airflow. Which is a resultant of rpm and throttle. If you are at light throttle at 5000rpm you may be using a similar area of the needle as lower rpm with more throttle %.

Oil thickness will control rate of opening( dampening effect) and spring dictating max opening amount depending on airflow.

A larger bore motor (or more efficient air pump )will require a heavier spring. Hence why I suggested you try running a lighter or no spring to understand how low flow affects the big carb..

You will find a lighter spring will open the piston more and reducing vacuum across the needle reducing suck capability to draw fuel out of the jet. not just as simple as raising needle to hose in more fuel. I assume you went heavier- if so you will be running in the fatter/ leaner part of the needle..

Maybe a super fat needle at idle and lowering the jet would mask the problem..

Personally I would try for a smaller carb (s) which will meter fuel with greater accuracy.

Tl:dr

Thanks, yea I am very strongly considering ordering a HIF38 as you say. My only concern is that WinSU recommends HIF44 and says that with HIF38 I'll be too lean. So hard to work out.

I think that the reason for the heavier spring is as you say to reduce the max opening (similar effect to using a smaller choked carb?). I may need completely different needles with the lower opening.

I may have to try and actually see how much the piston is lifting for different loads...

I had another thought, how about upping the idle to say 1400-1500 rpm (or more if it needs it)  (so it doesn't run too rich and foul at idle) then drop the jet 3 or 4 turns. then see if your lean top end improves..

this would give you an opportunity to see if a needle with a comparatively lean idle could be an option for you.. before forking out big bucks on a new HIF38.

come to think of it the problem you are having is pretty much the same as I had on my 1330 with 296 cam and stage 3 head plus high compression.(also running Hif44)

• Like 1

K-trips, I have a 266 cam, 12G940 head, +060 over bore, alloy inlet and maniflow exhaust. 9.75:1 comp ratio. It's quite nice but I'm not getting the most out of it with the leaning issues. I would rather stick with a single carb and with the HIF44 if it's feasible. Cost is the major thing right now. I don't really have any money left to tie up in it.

Mjrstar, that sounds like a good plan. Would you recommend trying that with the light or heavier spring? Also, which needle should I try it with? The BBB I am getting close with, or the BDL that WinSU suggests?

What was the solution for your 1300?

I have been testing with an AFR readout with the sensor up the tailpipe. It doesn't read accurately at idle, but with the BBB needle I get around 14-15 at cruise, and about 13-14 at full throttle until about 4500rpm. At that point it's about 15 and climbs to 16+ as the revs increase

What do you mean flatten it sorry? Just flstten the profile of the needle?

I don't plan on revving it really high all the time, I'm just trying to get the tune right for the full range as it should rev to about 6000rpm I believe. Though I could be wrong, and perhaps I'm being abusive?

^^ HIF has turns not flats but yeah... jet height adjustment is via a screw on the side.  

By "fatten" he means richen up.

My suggestion is to use whichever needle has the greatest amount of taper to maintain some form of idle (it sucks when you have plug fouling).

I can't really say which spring is likely to net best results but it will define your problem, if the lighter spring gives a leaner a/f you don't have enough suck. if the heavy spring is lean you need to keep dropping the jet (if it will still idle) or start trimming down the lower section of a needle. bearing in mind the heavy spring will be harder to get the tune right as you won't be using the very bottom point on the needle.

Have you tried gently giving it a bit of choke when it gets into it's lean rev range?

plan C would be to grab an old HS4 for cheaps and give it a go?

How did i fix mine - well it's still not 100% but i went to twin motorbike carbs. - in my mini project thread.

did a pile of research and tuning and the best i got it was (needed 1400 rpm as a minimum to idle OK) and was a dog below 3500rpm but pulled like a deamon tope end. the other way i could tune it was to raise the jet and run an ok idle but lack fuel in the top end.

• Like 1

On a side not with the motorbike carbs the idle is super smooth and bottom end torque is much improved. You'd hardly know it had a reasonably sizable cam in it.  This situation is way better suited to the long 1st gear my car has now with the straight cut close ratio box.  / enough about my rubbish cars