Electric heater fan control

flyingbrick

Hi all.

So Iv got my two blowers on my little heat exchanger and would like to vary their speed with a three position switch- off, 50% and 100%

Now how do I work out what size resistor I need to use to give 50% power?

Would it be easy to use a variable resistor?

Are either of these going to generate heaps of heat?

I see jay car does dc motor speed controllers- would I be better using one of these?

I forgot what Leon did in his gem. If you want yo use the original switch to do on off and 50 you could use a 555 and a get to build your own speed controller that's either off, or 50% or 100%. Wouldn't be too difficult really. Though $27 jaycar thing sounds like the least amount of fucking around required though

Should probably add that if that jaycar controller isn't completely potted (or you can hack out some bits) you can use the original 3 way car switch and a resistor or 2 to replace the pot and have the 3 settings and not have to build your own driver stuff.

Thanks Ned.

8044043A-5762-4BEE-87CB-3808D1ACC29D-389

Now the instructions say they suggest a 500v 3a diode such as IN5404 put accross the output terminals for an inductive load like mine- what's the reason for this?

Would that help full down the high frequency squeel I now have at partial speeds? What about a capacitor or something?

Its for a flyback diode when the fan is furned off and the coils put out a voltage spike that could fry the internals. Needs to be a diode, and put the the right way around or you blow up your electronics as well haha

you dont want/need it to smoothen anything out. You PWM it and she'll be happy. If you smoothened it out to give a steady lower voltage supply, it will do nothing but get rid of the flyback but you will also lose power/torque or whatever.

If you wanted that, you should get an adjustable current thing instead of adjustable PWM like you did. PWM is legit and i wouldnt have done it any other way really. It MAY induce some hum into audio if wired "badly" or even be audible on its own depending on the frequency of the switching, but doubt you'll hear a thing