Taupo Car Club Winter Series

Hey guys, here's some info about the Taupo Car Club winter series - it's a track based series that has Dual car sprints on the Saturday of each event and Clubmans racing on the Sunday. 

Most of the events take place on Taupo Track 2 and you need a minimum of a Clubsport licence for the dual sprints - National for the Clubmans. 

Dates: 

Round 1 DUAL SPRINTS, Saturday 8th June

Round 2 DUAL SPRINTS, Saturday 29th June

Round 1 CLUBMANS, Sunday 30th June

Round 3 DUAL SPRINTS, Saturday 27th July

Round 2 CLUBMANS, Sunday 28th July

Round 4 DUAL SPRINTS, Saturday 17th August

Round 3 CLUBMANS, Sunday 18th August

Round 5 DUAL SPRINTS, Saturday 21st September.

Round 3 CLUBMANS, Sunday 22 September

For more information and entry forms: http://www.taupocarclub.org.nz/Events-Calendar-Entry-Forms/

I'm planning to enter both events on Summit weekend (July 27/28th) .

• 3 weeks later...

This was a bit of a mess for our first trip north. Beaut weather but winter chills meant a slippery track. Dan had the driving duties on Saturday and struggled for grip badly. We knew the tyres were getting close to the end of their life but with the flat corners at Taupo as opposed to the banked ones at Manfeild really showed the cars weakness. The corner we struggle the most for grip with at Manfeild is the left hand hairpin after the esses and with Taupo running the opposite direction the majority of corners are left handers. I would say an LSD will be a must for us to run there again as it just kept unloading and spinning up in the lefties. Dan did well considering we could easily have run half the horsepower and gone as quick..

I jumped in for the clubmans on Sunday having not run the track at all and scooted out for quali. I wish I hadn't. Felt like a skidpan. Came in halfway through quali as i'd had enough. A few guys offered up advice so the tyre pressures were drastically altered but that was even worse. Started on the front row of our group but lucky not to loop it in second off the line and just nana'd it around staying out've everyones way until I looped it out've the back straight. Then next lap the power cut and cab filled with smoke...some electrical issue which put me out've my misery lol. On trailer and headed home nice n early. Lots of work to do before we run again.

We put the Datto on the dyno on Thursday and managed to put another 40kw into it and maybe that didn't help too much but should be good at Manfeild when we run the last round of the winter series

On a brighter note we had a mean night out in Taupo Saturday which was definitely the highlight of our weekend :)

• Like 1