Quadrajet - Speeeeeeno

KKtrips

• 4 weeks later...

Not being a dingus but if you can't be fucked rebuilding it yourself then send it to the Shazfather and get him to fettle his magic.

I just got back mine tonight and it looks grouse and feels like a new one to operate. Haven't run it of course but I would put money on the fact it's about 7 times better than it was.

A Carb kit cost me about 80 bucks and the rebuild I haven't got a bill for but estimate 150 cash and for less than 250 smackers all up for a bloody good result is totally worth it.

Also he knows these things inside out. So knows all the little tricks and tips.

I'm quite keen to do it myself even though it would be a whole bunch easier to send it away, just yeah wasn't too sure if that one was going to be all good as i can't seem to find a way of ID-ing it online, also wasn't sure what mods you have to do, if any.

• 1 year later...

Should have gone leaner with the bigger cam you would think. How do you know its rich just smell? The idle screws can not have much adjustment on these if you do loose vacuum from a cam swap. If you run into this you can change the idle air bleeds and a few other things as a proper solution.

ok sorry for being brief in my earlier posts.

I know its being rich as i had the rear half of the exhaust done the day the old motor died (died on the way home from the shop) there was no carbon buildup on it .

within 10 mins of starting this new engine the pipe had carboned up and  a rich unburnt fuel smell lingered in the air.

the time it sat around in between  was roughly 3 months.

from what I have read so far that the idle bypass air circuit thingo isnt getting enough air through it and there seems to be 101 different ways to get around this.

drilling 1/8" holes into the primary butterflies seems to be what some of the aussies are doing. seems a bit brutal 

any ideas are most welcome!

ok cheers for that . I'm keen to roll with the quaddie as it was mint on the stock engine .

i'll get a wideband and book and report back 

cheers 

edit: BTW the mixture screws are still wearing the anti tamper caps do I just drill them out ( carefully) and what direction does the screws need to be turned for enrichment/leaning  Ive read mixed reports on the net.