ODBs CG of slowness

ODB

Hi to all you OSGCs.  Names Ross, live in the 03.

Long time lurker, first time poster.  Two shady pricks Joker and MRWEST brought me here.  Intend to get along to a couple of meets as work and family allow.

Anyways been a little bored lately so thought Id get into riding bikes and buy a shit thing to learn on/project.

Bought this thing - image from the tard.

264995373.jpg

When I bought it the thing was sweet as a nut mechanically but fucked electrically - no horn, indicators, headlight.

Not deterred I trailered the bitch home and set to work - after a fucking ear bashing from the better half.

Once I had utilised my pimp hand and she was back in kitchen, had it to bits and found that it had 3 minor problems:

1.  Battery was fucked

2.  Almost all bulbs were blown.

3.  The main issue - the previous owner had painted frame and then attached the main ground so it wasnt grounding.

Fixed all of the above and now it indicates, toots the horn and light works.

Even if it does get brighter the faster I go - 6v piece of shit.   

Anyways, will pass my test on this and then see if I can be fucked chopping / modding it or if I just buy something cooler.  It doesnt seem to go very quick but good for a laugh and to zoom through rush hour traffic i suspect!

Thats all for now.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A few steps forward and one step back!

Finished a meeting yesterday early and went home and took it for a blat!

Headlight blew again when I was revving it out - feck feck feck. 

More investigation is needed!

Battery is brand spanking and was my first port of call.

Horn, indicators and tail light all gravy.

Im gonna hunt down some rubber headlight mounts this weekend and put em in the bracket mounts to see if vibration is killing headlights.

Chris : its my understanding that these bikes run the headlight direct on AC and the rest of the circuit on DC.  If my reg was stuffed ALL lights would be blowing? 

The more I think about it the more I am convinced its vibration - it only blew after going for a sustained time at higher speed - had previously been fine tootling around locally.

I think u are right. as headlight works if battery is removed. Mine doesn't blow any bulbs tho

edit: tho my headlight does have rubber mounts that the headlight bolts go through so I guess they are there for a reason.

• Like 1

Spent half the morning looking for a few rubber washers.

Every rubber place wanted $20 plus for em .....!!!

Thought feck that and rocked down to Supercheap Auto like a bawse and came back with some of these wiring grommets

76905a0cef96e0fa00c917ad3651163a_zpsa5b4

Choppy choppy and I had some rubber washers that were the exact right size....

bbd2f76c65f2b44f9d9d6da66e588de8_zps9cb1

And now me head lights look like this.....

09a44d04856d561063c9fe903df459a9_zps48e4

Shit update is shit but Im hopeful that when I get a new bulb fitted it wont blow and I can take rides after work in winter!

Took bike for a burn anyways at 3pm and was a great afternoon for it wind was pretty warm!

• 4 weeks later...

Fail - still blowen bulbs!

However have discovered regulator/rectifier has actually snapped one of its two pins off and its stuck in the plug ie its fucked.

Have got a replacement to pick up from Casbolts today but hopefully can get the snapped pin out of the plug.

In other news first commute to work today seen as it was non icy and I am not picking up the sprog - splitting lanes like a bawse!

• Like 1