Light fitting continuity?

Llama

So, still trying to sort out the CBs indicators. The indicators have the typical one-terminal-bayonet type fitting, however, with the bulb out, there is continuity between the dot in the middle, and the outer casing. Is this correct? It doesn't seem right to me. 

This happens with 2 of the indicators I tried (couldn't get the other two apart), and even when I pushed the terminal right to the back (as if  there was a bulb in place). According to the wiring diagram the lights should go straight to earth.

Hmm. Don't quite get what you mean with the flasher bubble. So it doesn't just stop current off and on like someone flicking a switch lots?

Wiring diagram has a 2 terminal flasher, but the old one was a 3 unit.

EDIT: Yeah, outer casing is ground, but that should mean that the dot in the middle is connected to 12V when the switch is on and the flasher is on the "on" pulse right?

Just had a similar problem in the belair

Indicators on would make all sorts of shit flash, eg. gauge lights brake lights basically all up the shit. 
After many days fucking around under the dash all it turned out to be was dodgey earths (bulb casing earthed through car but was a shit connection) rigged up proper earths through the bulb casing and WHAMO everything is mint.

Issue was if only one bulb had a shit earth the electrikery would then find the next route which happened to be the the gauges in the dash and everything else to give it a xmas tree effect.

So yeh do all earths before getting crazy

Right! think I have this sorted. Turns out you can get continuity though the battery, so my tests were doing nothing helpful. Doh!

Took the battery out and tested the circuits individually with a 12V supply (old drill battery charger...). One lamp had a bad earth, and turned on all the dash lights when the indicator tried to work... Aside from that I also figured that the old 3 terminal flasher must have not been stock, as the wiring diagram has it wired up like bubbleGs above.

Just need to go pick up a three way terminal and splice some extra wires in.

Cheers all!