Electrical guru's please help

flyingbrick

Hi all.

So I'm wiring in my headlight reminder. Having issue with the wire iv chosen to show that acc/ignition is on.

I found it by probing with test light.

However when turning key to OFF it was not dropping voltage to my circuit unless I use the test light or an led to drain a seemingly residual current.

With led on this wire when I turn key to OFF the light will slowly go out over 1.5 seconds or so.

It works now with led in parallel but I'd like to know where this electricity is coming from... I'd assume coil but this wire is energised with key in acc position... Indicator flasher modules? Hmmn

Nah no fans are going.

There seems to be some dribbling of electricitys and somewhere something is storing currents because if I disconnect the LED for a few seconds it will recharge- touch wire again and the led will light up and then go out slightly.

Fuck knows.. This stuff messes with my head.

Discovered the interior lamp is switched negative.. Messed with my head

I just had a re-read and it sounds a lot like a grounding issue. Are you sure what you are using is the correct ground. Run a wire directly from the battery negative to check. Then measure the potential between that wire and your ground under all situations.

Anything other then 0 volts means a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a capacitor has been fitted to smooth out the power for a stereo or RT. I know the old Alpines used a little black box on the power feeds that had a capacitor and a line filter to suppress electrical noise from the Alternator/Ignition. Caps can hold a charge for ages and a LED doesn't take much power to run for a couple of seconds.