Converting Carb to EFI

MRWEST

Say someone was going to convert a carb factory car and tank to EFI.

Few questions.

The factory tank is unbaffled and setup for carb obviously so only one fuel line to the front of the car, no return.

Do you need a return line if you are going to goto EFI? Im picking yes.

Should the factory tank be cut open, baffled and modified to take a intank pump or would a external pump be ok? Picking youll have starvation issues if you dont baffle the tank or put in some sort of surge tank.

You could just run a swirl pot with lift pump and fuel loop

So two pumps (lift pump needs to flow more than supply), lift pump keeps swirl pot primmed/topped up al the time and supply pump takes fuel from pot therefore should never be starved of fuel.

Will be some images on Google.

Will require return line and a regulator unless it has a factory one on the end of fuel rail.

What motor are you thinking?

That's how I ran my setup. Got a return line welded into the tank, lift pump to swirl pot, EFI pump to engine, return from engine into swirl pot and then return from that to the tank.

New setup however will be modified tank with baffles / built in swirl thing and intank pump, coz two fuel pumps rattling around in the boot is pretty average.

the ones ive done. i cut the bottom of the tank out around where the pick up is, welded baffles to the section i cut out, then welded it back into place. usually replace the pickup with bigger tube at the same time. run external pump. if i was doing it again, would do it as yowzer says and run an internal pump as well.

clean the tank out properly and you wont blow yourself up