1ggte water cooled oil filter?

1Gesus

3SGE/3SGTEs use the same thing (not sure if same part number) and presumably many other Toyota engines.

And yes, they do work.

They are also an oil warmer, if the oil is somehow cooler than the (post thermostat) coolant temperature... which is a good thing!

Pretty clever design really, and keeps everything pretty compact compared to air cooled oil cooler setup.

Cant say I've got any comparative data for how well they cool the oil compared to external air coolers though.

My Legacy runs one. It certainly helps keep oil temps in check. On the road, its always within 2 degrees of water temp - which is around 90 on my car. On the track, by the time the cool down lap is over and im back in the pits, oil temps will be within a couple degrees of water again.

Mate runs the same motor but with an air-oil cooler and his temps do swing around a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

That is what is known as a Heat Exchanger. Hence it cools warm oil and heats cold oil.

These a very common on a whole bunch of cars. And yes this post is pointless as it's already been said but they are very handy things until they fail then they mix oil with water and people mistake that for head gasket problems.

They don't fail often however. So I recommend keeping it.