Mystery mini issues

SP450andLE

The mini has a weird thing where in 4th gear at high speeds it starts to cough and bang and loses all power. I have to back off the gas and let it slow down quite a bit before I can put my foot back down. It does it mostly uphill.

So any ideas of what the issue could be? I went to replace the points and condensor, but I was given the wrong points. So it's got a new condensor but old points, so maybe it could be a fault in the points?

I just tried doing the static timing again, but it hasn't helped. - I did line it up with a previous timing mark, but just for reference, what should it be for an 1100 Mini engine? For some reason 5deg BTDC comes into my mind?

Another thing I thought of was that when it's under load like that air could be getting through one of the carb gaskets? Is that a possibility?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you're running the carb bowl dry. I'd go with AllTorque and say fuel filter or fuel pump starting to die.

I'd prob also undo the fuel line at each end and blow its guts out with a compressor, might be some rouge jizz in there.

Can you get pump kits for these?