brake pads and overlap

michael0008

hey guys

being upgrading my brakes a little with some semi bolt on stuff before a cert

using a ae111 rotors turned down from 275x25mm to 260mm to fit nicely under the twin pot mazda millenia calipers with the rotors just passed the edge of the pad

but after fitting them noticed this

in between the red lines the rotors are tuned down 2 or so mm in the width so about 2mm of the pad doesn't contact it is this ok? will it hurt the brakes much or should i just use different rotors ,would cert guy be unhappy about it too?

SAM_2686.jpg

SAM_2689.jpg

cheers :wink:

Pretty sure that would be fine with a cert but Cletus will know best..

I've seen some cars with (the correctly listed) aftermarket pads where the whole pad doesn't touch the rotor and you end up with a weird pad wearing issue. But it doesn't affect the braking so should be OK.

You may find a brand of pads that is identical but with the pad material having a radius on that inside edge which would be better.

Either way it would pay to check the wearing of the pads every 5000Km just to see how they are wearing on that inside edge though..

A couple of brackets to relocate the calipers would have saved modifying the rotors / having pads not fit correctly ;)

That said, the current pads in my daily are smaller in foot print that the ones they replaced. So different pads could well sort the issue too if they are smaller. I'm not sure how well the pad will wear down on the centre of the rotor when the pad on the machined section of the rotor wears down.

yea sadly didn't think of that at the time as i only thought i would have to get the rotors turned down ,was just a quick upgrade for the daily driver before a cert also these fit behind 15s and maybe 14's soo is quite good :icon_smile:

also would have to change rotors most likely if i did a bracket as it would be a very skinny bracket