Falcon V8 wont go though trans manually....

OldNathan

Ive got a mate who has a 95 Falcon with a worked 302 in it. He just got it tuned today and sounds like there was more wrong with the previous link tune then there was right. But thats a different story.

Im trying to find out for him how the gearbox shifter works manually as every gear is like having it in drive. You can be in top gear and click it down into first and it will do nothing. Take off in first and it will go through the gears like you have it in Drive.

The issue as well is I dont think it use to do it. He sent it to get the link installed and it came back like that. I straight away thought it must have been because the ecu was gone and had something to do with the shifting. But the tuner today seemed to say it has nothing to do with that side of things.Plus its also going though all the gears and kicking down fine, just cant do anything manually.

Is there something simple to check on these Fords when he pops round soon?

Nathan

I wouldnt have thought kick down would have affected manual shifting - kickdown is normally like an extesion off the throttle cable if its done mechanically.

The manual selection of gears shoul djust be the shifter moving the gbox selector to different locations, which makes the box brake/clutch the different planetary gears - this is my crude understanding of auto boxes, haven't played with the inside of one since Uni/5 years ago.

Sounds very odd

it's a modern trans so prob has solenoids to do the shifting. there will be an " inhibitor" switch which tells the ecu where in the range is forward fears the lever is. there IS a mech linkage but it does not change anything internally between d 123, only n,r,p and d.

from my understanding it MUST still have the factory ecu there or else things would be stranger still. what's controlling line pressure right now during shifts?

lots of questions to ask!

pull off the passenger side kick pannel- see if the factory ecu is in there.. and ask the installer how much input the link has into the transmissions shifting.

Ummm we are talking about a 95 Ford, ecu transmission- i don't think so Tim.

Solenoids? only the japs were dumb enough to pursue that technological black hole. Check all external adjustments, kick down cable first, followed by getting the manual and checking if there are front and rear band adjusters accessible without dropping pan.

Would help if you provdied us with a transmission manufacturer and model code.