Llama's el cheapo roller pipe bender

Llama

I think the idea he is after is more of a roller than a bender like the pipe bulldozer type things or even the mandrel bender rookie posted.

With a roller you can get whatever radius you want. Would be mean for doing custom bike frames

Roll+bender.jpg

Just finished exams, so haven't really made any progress. Now that I'm working 40h weeks. Power plug has been installed this morning, just need gas and metal and I'm all set to weeeeeeeldyweldy.

that top design looks like it was made in a university for an example? a cheap bender would be a bulldozer with dies made to suit. it would only require a few heavy plates and no bearings. eg http://www.carellcor...ontalpress.html , http://machineryhous...ders-Bulldozers and you just make dies when you need them from aluminium or something easy to make that wont damage what you are working with. also easy to change the ram later to bigger/longer/more powerful depending on your design

It depends what you want to do with this, but it seems super overkill for just about anything that we would build in out garages.

As anglia4 pointed out, I want something that can do quite long radius bends, and I think with enough trial and error my machine will do all I want and more. Despite the title, I guess cost isn't that much of an issue, provided it's reasonable. Can always hire it out for beers.

Found this design that looks quite smart, with leverage to bend even bigger stuff, however I'm not sure how moving the bearing in a circular arc like that would work with smaller bends.

side-profile.jpg