Diseasel Conversions on Classic Cars

coldturkey

An idea I have been toying with, probably wont ever eventuate to anything.

There are obviously different vehicle licencing classes for diesel vs. petrol, so I assume when undertaking a diesel conversion on a petrol car then you go through a process of changing it to a diesel class. Anyone been through this?

What about on a car that is 40 years old? Is there a difference between classic petrol vs. classic diesel class?

A couple other q's:

There are a few cheap LD28s on the tard at the moment. Would the power decrease be too much between say an L24 (96kW) and a LD28 (67kW). Or since it is diesel with more torque, would it be OK.

And were all column change boxes created equal?

For example, if you got a TD27 column change box out of a Nissan van (5 speed) and connected it up the factory linkages, would you magically be able to engage the other gears on the factory shifter?

I looked into this and was told that you basically have to class the diseasel by the tonnage and amount of wheels as per:

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registr ... -fees.html

One of my original hair-brained plans for my TA was to run duallies on the rear but that would bump it up into 6wheeler territory so from $48/1000km to $52/1000km

They don't care about the age of the car/engine and if anything prefer modern diesels anyway.