starter motor continues after releasing key?

maxted

been having this issue for awhile now with my ex lancer (well since ive owned it) where the starter motor continues to wind over after ive released the key, it use to only do it for a short while then stop, every now and again it will just keep going (even if put it in gear ect) to the point where i quickly pop the bonnet and pull the wire off the solenoid, so i changed the starter motor with a 2nd hand one off a mate that he had used in a car and he said he had no issues with it, and its continued to happen, i also changed the ignition barrel and its continued to happen, would there be a relay or something like that being dodgy and keeping power to the solenoid after the keys released? any help would be much appreciated cheers

Beaver- thats what i first thought so changed the starter motor and it still happened so i thought it would not be likely to have two starter motors with same problem and my mate said the one i put in worked fine in the car before he stripped it

R100- thanks mate i will look into this