5M help. Can I remove timing gears without removing head?

Guest Zeb

Heyo, been working on the underside of the wagon recently, when I removed the oil pan I found a small handful of broken gear teeth.. lol. Bottom and top timing gears are fine, it's just the tensioner sprocket which is pretty much stripped.

Now I know some of you guys have spent a bit of time with these engines, I haven't, so what I want to know is, is there a way I can remove this without first having to take the head off? It looks like I might be able to remove the front timing cover without interfering with the head gasket etc, although it might not be best practice, it would save a huge hassle.

Here's a couple pics to help refresh yo memory

875.jpg

5454.jpg

And yes I plan on replacing the whole set as the chain obviously won't be in top shape

Holla, cheers, xo, etc

its a complete guess, but i'd say you can,

you'd obviously have to remove the cams etc to get to it,

and undo the vibration damper thing,

well you can on motorbikes any way :D (where most of my mechanical knowledge really lies)

edit: went for a look for timing chain images... looks very different

5mchain.png

pull the front timing cover off then remove the chain guides and tensioner unit, then lift the chain off the crank sprocket, undo the bolt on the cam sprocket (preferably before you remove the chain) and then lift the chain and cam sprocket off as one.

Yup. Will be back over there tomorrow so will pretty much try the above, if I can't get it out from the head tho I'll just have to take all that off too. The manual I could find suggests I would have to remove the head first, but it really looks like it might just slip by with only the front cover off. Cheers

if you've got the sump off already then you should be able to do it.

i don't thing the 5M has a bolt between the head and the cover on the inside, i thing they are all on the outside. the 4M definitely has a bolt inside.

anywho, you should be right. you'll have to take off heaps of shit to get at it and take the radiator out so you can see that your not fucking the gaskets when you put the cover back in.

would probably help to undo the long studs ( i think there are two?) so you can offer up the cover without sliding it straight back into place and wrecking the gasket.

I can't say a M series motor in particular but I have done what you are describing with other OHC timing chain motors.

From memory putting them back together and properly sealed was akin to balancing a wine bottle on your nose while rubbing your tummy anticlockwise and skipping clockwise. In other words the amount of effort you would save by NOT taking the head off you would spend on fitting and removing the timing cover 3 times to reseal it and cursing each time.. A shortcut is never a shortcut if you know what I mean. You only take the shortcut a couple of times before you realise its a waste of time and do it properly from then on.

Another note if you will - if that picture you have supplied is your actual head then I think removing your head and getting it hot tanked would be a bloody good idea - its got shit-tonnes of crud buildup and doing the timing chain may be a waste of time if you are just going to end up seizing the cam anyway..

Another note if you will - if that picture you have supplied is your actual head then I think removing your head and getting it hot tanked would be a bloody good idea - its got shit-tonnes of crud buildup and doing the timing chain may be a waste of time if you are just going to end up seizing the cam anyway..

And yeah it is, kinda what I expected given the 350km on it. But not too pretty eh. Will clean it up if I have to take the head off :/