Brocky41's 1979 Vintage SuperKart

brocky41

I raced Karts in Hawkes Bay for 9 years from when i was 9 - won 5 Hawkes Bay titles = numerous other events etc. We then sold up and i brought a TE71 corolla which we caged, race seats harnesses etc and used at the Car club for 3 years.

After becoming a courier driver and buying a house the courier thing basically made me broke and had to sell up.

Then brought into this,

Yet another project - have co owned this beast for about 6 years - was going well until someone blew the bottom end. just getting the wiring and such sorted then we are go again.

Was used in the 80's as a Super car Build for going fast at circuits such as Pukekoe and Manfield.

Was told it used to do over 230kph - by old driver.

Is quite rare now days being twin cylinder - most are single - Is a Yamaha 250cc 2 stroke.

Heres a few things about it

Thought id upload all my projects - this post is from a while ago - to all you old school rollers out there

Is a Yamaha 250cc 2 stroke.

5 speed box

Disc Brakes all round

Side pod is actually the fuel tank - Scary if you had someone drill you in the side :fire:

Seating position is on a queer angle due to engine width.

Used to run Methanol -but the carbs were obviously to big and we put 250cc yamy carbs on.

Fuel pump looks like a datto one and works of a cam on the rear axle - IE if your not moving you'll run outta gas.

Ive drivin it a couple of times - trys to lift front wheels off the ground and three wheels (front off the deck) round most corners on a sprint circut.

Ill update this wheel ive got it running and take some vids

kart004.jpg

kart002.jpg

kart001.jpg

Hers a vid, Getting sum mean D1, look for the rubber marks

And every1 rolling out at the start

http://www.youtube.com/user/brocky411#p ... t0icP62xZA

Lasted around 25 laps on the saturday of blossom metting 2010 and was blisteringly quick ina straight line, no traction out of low speed corners, then the damn this siezed - i knew i should have stopped and checked the plugs - was only slight nip up and had almost detonated a hole though piston #2.

after taking heads and barrells off on sat night found other barrell was cracked in two places umong other things. have spare barrells but now on hunt for another engine as a standard one will be more reliable. and the ports on it have been opened up soo much the walls are paper thin.

there was around 30 vintage karts for the lunchtime display for both sat and sunday somecoming as far as chch. Haad an absolute ball and will keep hold of this as people were trying to buy it all week end as they new or new of the kart and original owner.

Such a variety of Karts 2 with some running McCullocks or 2 on some karts with one or more (up to 3) carbies on each motor (the thing they got up to in the day).

Dads McCullock went strong and even Brendan (Mint16) had a run on sunday and is now trying to find one of his own ex race vintage karts.

Will put up more vids as i get them loaded up.

Heres Brendan McEwan (mint16 on datsun forum) in dads kart

dscf0102j.jpg

dscf0140v.jpg

From 2010

• 4 years later...

Reviving this Post - much excite see the vids above

Heres some old pics as the ones fromt he post have gone

zzzz%20001_zpsjgsj6csw.jpg

kart%20002_zps6bvd02ak.jpg

zzzz%20003_zpsqxjr7qov.jpg

zzzz%20004_zpsnbvvjche.jpg

Dad has been busy stripping and rebuilding this - so far has the Frame stripped and re powder coated in red and had a general tidy up.

I NEED HELP

The engine is a Yamaha DS6 from the 70's and when it was running sounded like this thing - bloody awesome

Heres what kinda bike the engine is off

yam12_zpshmm8cg8j.jpg

283889_7_zps1mptx7mv.jpg

283889_4_zps7bqy33ez.jpg

Anyway it blew up from running too lean. it melted a piston among other things and the spares we have are all haddit.

We ran some carbs we found as it used to run on methanol and they were so huge the engine would flood. It apartently had around 40Hp. It was a prick to start and was generally

missing bits and pieces aswell (no clutch or kickstart)

We are thinking for ease of running it etc to find a complete engine with the clutch and kick start like an RD250 as they look similar to keep with the theme of the Kart. Then we can kick start it, and

use the clutch to move off.

Any help locating an engine like this, Yamaha Parallel Twin 250cc (or 350 but would have to keep quiet as 250cc is max allowed) 2 stroke, would be much appreciated as there is a big meeting in Hawkes Bay in January and we would like to have it running then.

• Like 1

Have you looked on eBay for parts? I haven't struggled to find bits for my suzuki T350 which is similar vintage, and tbh I would rather trust I motor that I have built over something else, better the devil you know etc.