oil pressure light at idle once car is warm

Beaver

When this used to happen to Holden 6's when I was a kid it was just a warning light to tell ya to change your bearings within the next 50k miles and use some wynns in the mean time.... As said after you find it only has 5lb oil pressure and unless its knocking additive with each oil change is good.

You may even want to look at a bottle of ZDDP as this is banned from the modern oils but the old engines need it.

Its not banned! it just isnt good for cat converters and modern oils have allot less, for any flat lifter engine it is essentail or your cam will get unhappy. Look at the tech sheets for Penrite oil they have several decent weights that have the required ZDDP.

Be aware of high viscosity oil, in my XF falcon the cam shaft drives the dizzy witch has a hex shaft coming out of the bottom witch drives the oil pump, I was using 25w70 oil witch put such a strain on the pump it broke the bottom off the dizzy shaft witch stoped driving the oil pump.

Its not banned! it just isnt good for cat converters and modern oils have allot less, for any flat lifter engine it is essentail or your cam will get unhappy. Look at the tech sheets for Penrite oil they have several decent weights that have the required ZDDP.

This is not quite true as its banned in other countries and as the oil we get is not NZ specific in the most part some may contain it. The way some manufacturers in countries where it is banned like Valvoline got around it was to label the oil with ZDDP as racing oil eg. VR1. I believe America has banned it for quite some years now. From reading around 1200-1600ppm is recommended for classic motors.

As above, a good example is that Holden engine run best with 15/40 and with heavier oil they tend struggle with the hydraulic lifters being often noisier